Friday, September 23, 2005

Friday September 23, 2005

Friday September 23, 2005 Zack is up early, has breakfast, showered and dressed. While we were waiting Dr Mook comes in with Sarah (our case worker) to discuss Zack’s release and surgery. Sarah explains that she needs me to hang around because someone from the Centre for Neuro Skills is coming to speak with me. This is a one of a kind facility in Dallas, Texas that incorporates independent living with intense therapy. Apparently Dr. Kraft has already told the Centre about Zack because when she arrives she knew all about him. He is the perfect candidate. A good student, no behavior issues, cooperative, actively participates in therapy and most important a high level of rehabilitative outcome. He has been referred and accepted now we have to get insurance to agree. Probably our biggest stumbling block but nothing is impossible with God. I was laughing in my car today thinking about how I was stressing out over getting the house ready for him to come home but all along God was on His throne saying, Eileen he’s not going home I’m sending him to Dallas. Now we wait and see if we get approval from the insurance company. It is difficult to talk about what Zack accomplished today but try to pay attention (we don’t have Cowboy tickets). In O.T. with Mary Beth he worked on the computer typing his name, date and what he did last night. He typed with few errors and she had him correct them. She asked him what he would like to type next and he said, “I don’t know all about this” and that is what he typed. He went to a different computer and played computer games. He played Solitaire with very little help and when the game was over he claimed, “I whipped that Lady”. Back in the room for a nap before lunch. Stacy, a student working with Dr. Calvery, came by to visit. She had him draw a picture and put his name on it. He drew a girl skateboarding and it was pretty good. Then he wanted to take a shower and change his clothes. I am thankful that Fraizer is paying the water bill right now. Afternoon speech with Kathy and he was given 4 letters and had to spell what was in the picture she showed him. He got fork, bed, rug, and cup but had a little difficulty with lamp. Overall he did very well. They played another game where he had to describe to her what was in the picture. For flowers he said they are colorful, you get them for a surprise and they smell good. I’m impressed.
P.T. with Amy and they work on balance and lifts weights. Back in the room he lays down to rest but doesn’t sleep. By 3:30 he is up and waiting to go to therapy. 4:00 O.T. with Mary Beth and he races her spider walking. He loves it. She has him to push-ups with his legs on the mat. It looks very hard but he does great. Goes to the Frazier grocery store and has a difficult time finding what is on his list. She gives him hints and once he finds them he is able to put everything back exactly where it goes. Back in his room and this time he is ready for a nap. He gets up for dinner at 5:30 and we go for a walk. We decide to check out Norton’s cafeteria and he gets a slushy. We walk to the parking garage and check out the roof (we are getting desperate for new paths to blaze). I ask Zack what he wants to be when he grows up and he says he isn’t sure. He says he has thought about it but hasn’t made up his mind. After some discussion we narrow it down to a doctor like Dr. Mooch or a preacher (he said he would preach the Word and the Word is God). We head back to the room and I convince him to play me in the card game Golf. We use to play it all the time and tonight he beats me. It requires strategy, planning and math skills. I give him no help and he beats me fair and square. At the end of our game my friend Teri, her little girl and her friend arrive. Zack says it’s time to go to McDonalds. He gets a cheeseburger and vanilla shake and we walk some more. Once back in the room he wants to take a shower (his third today) and he gets ready for bed. He is wore out and is asleep by 9:30. I am left to ponder the events of the day. Scott calls and we talk about Dallas and Zack coming home. We are ready to accept whatever the answer will be because we know that God has carefully orchestrated it from the beginning. We have learned that our plans can be changed in an instant or a day. We have to look ahead with hope regardless of our plans. The past should not be a place where we live but something that we learn from. We are to forget “those things which are behind” and reach “forward to those things which are ahead,” and we’re to “press toward the goal for the prize for the upward call of God in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 3:13-14). Please pray for an end to the aphasia. Pray that Gods will is working through our insurance issues. Pray that Zack will end up in the best place for him to recover completely.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everyday seems like he improves so much!! God is so awesome!! I'm so happy to hear that he gets to go home, or possibly Dallas. I was at University today because my mom had surgery. I couldn't help but think back to that day when I was in the same waiting room and watched all the events unfold that day. (actully Dr. Densler-hope that is spelled right-he did moms surgery today-what a great doctor!) I just couldn't help but think about the situation Zack was in that day, and how far he's come!! God has done truly amazing things in Zack's life. He's touched so many lives! I'm incrediably happy for your family. I'm sure there will be obstacles to overcome when he gets home, but your strong faith in the Lord will see you through. And I know I'm not telling you anything you don't know. Zack has really been on my mind today, and as I prayed for my mom, I also thanked Him for everything he's done for Zack!! Keep pressing on toward the prize...."Stay the course"
Kristy

11:24 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eileen,
Praise God for the remarkable progress Zack has made! Do you get to go with Zack to Dallas? Can you stay right there at the facility or in a Ronald McDonald House or will you need hotel accommodations? How long would he stay? Would this be instead of Frazier East or would he do that following Dallas?
Thanks for keeping usinformed of Zack's needs and progress.

9:01 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey hornbacks!
wow zack is doing great i haven't been up in two days and im hopefully coming up today! im still praying and i love you all!
love,
Tiffany!

10:49 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey eileen! my mom told me the details about dallas! that sounds exciting but also kinda scary!! if he goes ill miss him alot! we were goin to come down 2day but i got called into work!! love you!!

-katie carrico

1:02 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have all of the same questions that were asked up above, plus one. If Zack goes, will you still get to have your party or will you have to wait for him to come home? I hope you get to have it before he leaves--it would be a great send off.

Deb--SD cousin

4:16 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zack and Family,

i love to hear of his improvement and how far he has come since our wreck. im also glad to hear that he understands we were "stupid" on the night. it shows he has really learned from this experience. Its so amazing how the wreck hurt me and zack, but has helped so many other teens realize how important their decisions are. I wonder whether it would be good or not for me to visit him. i dont know if he would even remember me, or if i would confuse him.
As of my condition, just to let you know, i am still in physical therapy and will be for some time. In the wreck, my arm broke because i tensed up and put my arm against Zacks seat to keep from hitting the windsheild. I broke 3 bones and chipped another that cant be repaired. i also severed a nerve in my arm that enables me to feel anything in 3 of my fingers or my palm, and i have permanant scars on my face from hitting the windsheild when it scalped the front of my hairline. With all of my injuries, and years of physical therapy to come, i am still thankful for not have been in the passenger seat. i start counciling for PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) since i cant get in a car with crying or remembering the night. In a way, Zack is lucky he cant. That night is probably one of the scariest things we will ever experience. its what i think of when i wake up, and go to sleep.
I think the knowledge so many people have gained from our loss is beautiful. Lets make sure they never forget! Thanks for the posts.

Still praying,
Jamie Kerr
(middle back)

8:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, if you have any questions or want to contact me, my email is:

phatfrogy@aol.com

-Jamie

8:38 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You mentioned looking for new pathways to walk..have you been to the fountain area in front of the UofL med school/library and across from the dental school. Certain times of day it is busy (mainly lunch) but other times it is more quiet. I am sure you have already been there but just a thought. God Bless you and your family!

10:09 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Hornbacks,
You may not know who i am but my sister knows zach. I know you all are going through hard times but you'll get through it. Everyone wants to help you all in some way. God is watching over all of you and is the one who let zach live through the accident. I know he has some big plans for zach's future.
With love,
Mallory DePorter

12:41 PM

 
Blogger oakleyses said...

nike free uk, ray ban pas cher, guess pas cher, kate spade, ray ban uk, nike roshe run uk, new balance, abercrombie and fitch uk, michael kors outlet online, north face, uggs outlet, replica handbags, michael kors outlet online, coach purses, burberry outlet, hogan outlet, uggs outlet, michael kors outlet, vans pas cher, true religion outlet, michael kors outlet, nike blazer pas cher, hollister uk, michael kors, sac hermes, polo lacoste, nike tn, true religion outlet, converse pas cher, michael kors outlet online, hollister pas cher, sac vanessa bruno, michael kors outlet online, nike air force, true religion outlet, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, burberry handbags, coach outlet store online, nike air max, michael kors, oakley pas cher, lululemon canada, nike air max uk, nike air max uk, coach outlet, north face uk, mulberry uk

1:34 AM

 
Blogger oakleyses said...

iphone 6s cases, chi flat iron, ipad cases, north face outlet, hollister, ralph lauren, wedding dresses, nike air max, north face outlet, louboutin, baseball bats, insanity workout, iphone 6 plus cases, soccer jerseys, celine handbags, asics running shoes, ferragamo shoes, mcm handbags, valentino shoes, p90x workout, nike roshe run, babyliss, timberland boots, nfl jerseys, iphone cases, lululemon, iphone 5s cases, ghd hair, iphone 6 cases, mont blanc pens, longchamp uk, hollister clothing, beats by dre, reebok outlet, instyler, s6 case, oakley, bottega veneta, hermes belt, soccer shoes, herve leger, jimmy choo outlet, mac cosmetics, abercrombie and fitch, new balance shoes, nike trainers uk, iphone 6s plus cases, nike huaraches

1:38 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home