Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Wednesday October 12, 2005

Wednesday October 12, 2005 Zack got to sleep late this morning and ate a big breakfast (I’m spoiling him but we will get to cereal later). As we drive to Frazier East I tell him tomorrow is a big day. He asked why and I explain that it is Zack Hornback Day at Christian Academy and everyone is wearing their t-shirts. He smiles. I tell him I am also going to speak at the middle school chapel. He asked what I am going to say. I explain that I will tell everyone how hard it has been for him to recovery from his accident and how their prayers have really helped. He says, “That’s good”. Then I tell him that one day he will be giving his testimony on how God carried him through this and he says, “That’s bad. I can’t do it”. I tell him of course he can because I’m going to teach him. He replies simply, “O.K.”. I prepare in my mind how emotional that day will be when Zack stands before his peers with a personal warning of how their choices can change them forever. Then he reminds me that tomorrow they were taking his stitches out and he asked me if anything could go wrong. I understand his apprehension since a very simple procedure of removing the drain last week turned into surgery. I tell him nothing can go wrong at the doctors but I could get real nervous and throw up right before my speech. That makes his smile even as he says “don’t do that”. We arrive early at Frazier and I let them know that Zack won’t be there because of his doctor’s appointment. He tells his speech therapist that they are going to “fix my head”. She tells me to keep an eye on the swelling at his temple. I have noticed it seems slightly larger but I remember that Dr. Janjua said it could be swollen for several weeks. Zack puts his lunch in the refrigerator and asked his therapist for his schedule. She tells him he has to go into the community room and write his schedule into his binder. They are teaching him to be responsible for knowing what he is doing, with whom, where and when. He tells me goodbye and we begin another day. Zack took a long nap when he got home today and Scott had dinner ready when I arrived with Dylan and the girls. Scott told me he was taking Zack and Dylan to hit golf balls. Zack inhaled his dinner and kept asking Dylan if he was ready to go. While they were gone I decided it was a good time to get out some decorations. The girls were excited as we went to the basement to drag up pumpkins and scarecrows. Once outside I decided to weed around the bushes and realized it was the first truly normal thing I had done around the house in months. Isn’t it strange that it feels good to get back to household duties? You never know how precious those menial tasks are until they are snatched away from you. When the boys return Scott fills me in on Zack’s first attempts at hitting a golf ball. Zack was a good golfer and was preparing to try out for the golf team the week after his accident. Scott said he swung about six times and missed the ball completely. He looked at his Dad in despair and Scott told him don’t worry I can fix this. He set Zack up in the right position and before long he was driving the ball 250 yards (it’s a good thing because he has to prepare for his big golf match against Dave Stone and Sam). Scott was so happy and Zack was delighted that he made his Dad proud. As Scott tells me, he gets choked up and reminds me that when Zack was in the hospital he couldn’t help thinking about how they loved to play golf together. He said he got his best friend back. A couple of Zack’s friends stop in for a quick game of pool. I remember that I haven’t given him his antibiotic and take it downstairs. I tell him I am a bad nurse because this pill was almost 2 hours late. He said, “No your not. You’ve been good”. Wow, to be appreciated by your teenage son. Once they leave Zack comes into the office where I am preparing to work at the computer. He says he wants to get on it and asked if he could have the chair too. I comply, anxious to see what he will do. Some things never change… a teenager, a computer and instant messaging. His fingers naturally covered the keyboard. He typed much better than he could read what was being sent to him. He would ask me what it said to be sure he understood before he answered. I will emphasize to his therapist that focusing on reading is a priority. I hope to find out by the end of this week if they feel it is necessary to send him to an optometrist to check his vision. I am interested to see how accurate they can test his vision with the aphasia present. Zack checks the time and tells me in ten minutes he is going to bed. At 9:00 he signs off with a promise to call the girl he is chatting with. He heads to bed and calls for Toby (our Terrier) to come sleep with him. I tuck the girls in and head to the office. I will have plenty of time to get some “Zack work” done. I put off going through medical bills and opt for my therapy…this site. Thanks for listening, for being an important part of my recovery, for prayers and words of encouragement. Please pray that God will give back the ability to read for Zack. Please pray for Zack to embrace scripture again. To be able to read the words of Paul in Philippians 4:11 “I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content”. Continue to pray for complete recovery.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Eileen. I read your last couple of entries with tears streaming down my cheeks. WOW! How awesome is that! He's home! Your family back together! The little ones have their big brother and momma back! I am so happy for all of you and still just continually amazed at your srength. You are truly amazing! Thank you for the blogs daily through all of this. Its been quite a journey and its hard to believe its been 3 mos. He is doing amazingly well and I know it is not only because of Gods grace and everyones prayers but because he has such a fabulous mother! And father and siblings!!!
Sending many thoughts and prayers your way!
Oli

5:14 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eileen, you say this blog is your therapy. I have to tell you what a blessing and witness for the Lord this has been for ME personally. Every morning I check on Zack, you, Scott and the others. You have shown me the power of God through your strength and faith. God bless you all.

7:24 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been following Zach's progress and your family's journey and am overwhelmed by your strength and faith and the outpouring of love and support from your community. Please know that Zach and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. God Bless. Craig and Mary Louise Rivard

7:57 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

eileen, you thank the website for your therapy- when in reality, you provide for us. the hornback journey - zack's every accomplishment, getting to witness God's hand thru your words - again, i am touched, i am emotional, and i am thankful. continued prayers for your and the family. anything needed from the dental office? please let me know. love, jules

3:30 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eileen, What incredible witnesses you and Zack and your family are! Other than accepting Jesus as my Savior, I really have never been more affected spiritually and emotionally by anything as much as this. Again, thank you so much for keeping this blog, it has meant so much to so many people. We are all laughing and crying and praying our hearts out with you with lots of love! It's wonderful that Zack is home, I'm so happy for your family!

5:21 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eileen,

You are right, getting back to "normal" things that we often take for granted is a respite in itself.

We are posivite that Zack will continue to get better, even more so now that he is home with his family.

And, yes, Zack will read!!!!!!!!! Just watch and see!

What you may also find is that your family's perspective on life has now been forever changed--completely blessed!

Thank you to God.

All our love, Mark and Monica Key

5:37 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mrs. hornback, i have never met zack and he probably doesnt even know who i am but today when you came and spoke to the middle school i realized that every rule, curfew, and punishment my parents have ever made is because they love me and dont want me to get hurt. thanks so much, and i am praying for you, your family, and zach.

Lauren

5:54 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mrs. hornback ..
HOW AMAZED I AM !!!! you were truely amazing today in chapel.. IM SOO SORRY FOR BEING "a mess" as you told me.. You did soo good keeping your composure.. I dont know how you did it .. you're such a strong person .. I'm soo proud of Zack.. he is doning amazing.. He is an answer to all of our prayers! As the day went on everyone couldnt get over how amazing his story was..not to mention how good he still looked.. he still has a way to put a smile on everyones face..


Also ... Taylor barton.. GREAT JOB .. i cant get over how good you were.. I had never heard you sing only heard about it .. and i wasnt expecting you to be soo good.. the song alone was amazing and the words were very inspirational...All i can say is GREAT job...


still praying..
Kailey Sharpe

9:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mrs.Hornback!
i am soooo excited zack is home! i just cant wait until he can go out with all of us like he used to! ive been really busy lately and havent been able to come see zack as much but ill be there as soon as i can be! i hope zack isnt too mad! tell zack i love him n ill come see him soon!!

**tAylOR

9:56 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home