Thursday, October 13, 2005

Thursday October 13th, 2005

Thursday October 13th, 2005 Zack helped make his own breakfast this morning of scrambled eggs, bagels and fruit. He was excited to be going to Christian Academy and kept asking “will my people be there” (that would be his friends). When we arrived we had to sneak him into the school so no one would see him because we wanted it to be a surprise. As the middle school sang “I will never be the same again” Donna brought him up a side aisle where I was and sat him next to Dylan. Although I gave almost the identical speech it was more emotional this time. Every time I looked at Zack he would smile while the rest of the audience was crying. Before long, tears were streaming down my face but I was composed enough to complete my speech. The entire middle school prayed for him and then we hid him back stage as the high school entered the auditorium. He was dancing around to the music behind the curtain and saying “my people are out there”. As we looked for the separation in the curtain I took his hand and he looked at me very concerned and said, “You can’t hold my hand Mom ‘cause my friends don’t know I do that”. He obviously has forgotten the many times they walked the halls with us at Frazier and I held his hand. I think they understand that after nearly losing him and then willing him back to life, I am entitled to hold his hand sometimes. They sang and then introduced him as the special guest. Zack came out grinning to a standing ovation. Then they presented us with a $10,000 check that was raised by selling t-shirts (700 students were wearing CAL loves ZH shirts). It was very emotional and Zack quietly kept saying thank you. There is so much love, prayers and support I could just feel God cheering with us saying “Look at my people”. We stayed for the High school chapel and Zack got to sit with “his people” and had pictures taken by the Courier Journal and all his friends. Then we headed to University Medical Clinic to have his stitches removed. As we drive downtown he asked me if it was going to hurt and would there be blue stuff running down his face. I ask him if he means blood and remind him that blood was red. He said, “O.K. will I have red stuff running down my face?” Before we enter the building I take a phone call and we stop on the sidewalk. Zack keeps looking at the people coming out and asking them if they got their head fixed. Then he would take off his ball cap and show them his head and tell them he was getting his stitches out. It was quite amusing. He talked to every body in the waiting room and when we checked in he asked me again, “Is it going to hurt?” I don’t think so. “How do you know?” Because I won’t let them hurt you. I’m in big trouble if this hurts but fortunately I remembered and gave him a pain pill right before we came in. We see Dr. Janjua walk in and he asked us “What are you doing here?” I respond, “We are getting our stitches out”. He says, “Already?” I am very surprised and say, “You told us to schedule the appointment for today”. He just shrugged his shoulders and walk away, saying he would get us right in. I filled out several sets of paperwork (it seemed for each hour we waited I had to fill out more). Zack had to go to the bathroom so we walked down the hall. I told him to hurry because they might call our name. After sitting back down for another 15 minutes Zack asked, “Did anybody come out for us when I was in the pooping room?” I couldn’t help but laugh and told him, “You mean the bathroom”. His aphasia is at the stage where he gets his point across he just has a different way of saying it because he can’t always remember the name of the object (or place) he wants to say. He looks around at all the people waiting and then at the clock (it is already 3:30). He tells me, “I don’t think we are getting out of here anytime soon”. I’m afraid he is right. Finally at 4:30 we are called back to an exam room. Dr. Doss comes in to talk with us and is amazed. He hasn’t seen Zack since we left University in July and he can’t believe how well he is doing. He told Zack the last time he saw him all he could do was lay in bed and moan. He shows us the CAT scan and Dr. Harpring comes in to discuss the results. There is definite improvement from his CAT scan prior to the bone flap replacement. There is still a little bit of fluid (visibly evident at his right temple) but that would be absorbed. Everything looks fine and he should continue to recover but it is too early to take the stitches out. The ones on the side and back could come out but the ones on the top (where they had to reopen to remove the drain) were not ready. Zack seemed disgusted that they were not taking the stitches out and that he still couldn’t wash his hair (not that he has much). We scheduled another appointment for next Thursday and said goodbye. Zack was very tired since he hadn’t had a nap today. As soon as we got home he was in bed. After dinner several of his friends arrive and he plays pool. Our system seems to be down to a science. We are so happy that his friends want to come hang out with him because they are a big part of his recovery. I think of the song we sang today and how appropriate it is for Zack. We will never be the same again but we are genuinely happy. We have that peace that passes all understanding and we can’t wait to see what the future holds. Zack is a unique human being, a child of God with tangible evidence of His love. Continue to stay with us through his recovery and pray that the Glory of God will be revealed in its completeness.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey eileen,
i doubt u know me but i am an 8th grade student at CAL and was very very very moved by ur story i didn't know Zack ver well or his story and after i had heard it i felt i needed to get know Zack more , i don't know why i just needed to really get to know him. and i am not really friends with Kailey but i felt several times today that i needed to go up to her and say "i am praying for u " but it was like something was holding me back. Also i got to see zack right outside the lunchroom him and u and some of Kaileys friends were there i was standing in the back with the blue olka dotted headband and was the first on to say goodbye to zack. i was so happy and was about to cry tears of joy because of how much he had progressed i am a big cryier so through chapel i was crying really hard and praying to God for u and ur family.
Today when i went to eat lunch i couldn't eat very much i kinda had a sick feeling and i don't know if it had to do with Zack or if it was something else but all i could think about was zack and ur family and Kailey and her family it almost wanted to make me cry again. anyway i will be praying for u anf ur family and Kailey and Espicially u zack

12:18 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Eileen,
Just wanted you to know I still check every morning to see how each day is unfolding for you and pray accordingly. Our God is sufficient! You've been an awesome witness through this website, keep it up! I hope to meet you someday! Lori Bordas

7:49 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to go to CAL, so i know what chapel is like, and what its students are like. Reading the post, I can only imagine chapel for both middle and high school. How awesome a moment! I defintely wish i could have been there! Cool. I'm so happy that outpatient is going well...
We are still praying

9:48 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eileen and Zack:

So glad to hear that the chapel at CAL yesterday went well! How wonderful people are!!!!!!!!

And we are so happy that we could share our time and talents to assist in having the media cover the special occasion.

Just let us know when you need our help again!

Your friends, Mark and Monica Key

3:26 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dear eileen,
as I sat in my seat in chapel yesterday I was getting chills up my back listening to your speech. It was so awesome to feel God's presence and to see a tennaged boy sitting there who most people thought was going to die. I think all God wanted to use with Zack was to teach a very important lesson. I found it strange that all the things Zack said in the letter went against what he did that night. We've been studying in Bible that decisions have consqecuences whether good or bad. As I am going into high scool next year I will remember all of the things that you said yesterday. Thank you for your time speaking to us yesterday and all of the time that you have put into zack.

Tyler Strong

3:54 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dear hornbacks,
what an awesome day it was at CAL on Thursday! we were all so suprised to see Zack. I hadn't seen him since the accident and when he walked onto the stage, tears began to fill my eyes. He looks amazing! We're all so proud of him and all of the progress he has made! i think that as a student body, getting to see zack in school for chapel was a huge accomplishment in terms of all our prayers! you all are so blessed and I know for sure God has an amazing plan for zack and your family! take care and i will keep praying!
God bless,
CAL Student

4:46 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we are praying for you!

emily and lauren

5:06 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eileen -

I can only imagine the roar of the applause and the tears of joy shed when Zack came out on that stage. What an awesome and memorable moment that must have been for everyone present, especially Zack. Many people go through their lives often never knowing how much they are cared for or appreciated by those they are in constant contact with. Zack is a priviledge individual in that respect. He has personally experienced and seen the love his family and friends have for him by the experience at Chapel, knowing they have been praying for him and by the actions of his friends coming to visit him constantly. I look at Zacks picture daily on my refridgerator and today his site brought a huge smile to my face. I am so happy for him that he his home with his family! As we say our prayers in the car on our way to school in the morning I always say that my special prayer today is for Zacks complete recover. And now, little Trent (3 1/2 years) has turned his special prayer from "that I have fun playing with my toys and my friends" to "for mommy's friend Zack that his head gets better." It is very sweet! Stay strong, know that the Lord is always with you, and find comfort in knowing that you have an entire community of family, friends and acquaintances praying for your family.
God Bless You,

Julie

2:02 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

eileen,
im in 6th grade and i hade only herd of Zack one or 2 times before chapel on thur. but durring the testimony i cried all through it. The song touched me the most though, Zack must have very good friends. I also have a blog Called My Thoughts (http://thisiswatithink.blogspot.com) (visit me sometime) about Zack and a few other things. Hope for a quick recovery.
Zacks in my prayers,
Tyler Metevier

2:39 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your speech was amazing Mrs. Hornback. When Zack walked in I burst into tears and my eyes haven't been dry since. I would have never been able to make that speech. Thanks for coming. Say hi to Dylan for me.

Megan Hynes

3:22 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mrs. Hornback,
i am an 8th grader at CAL and i no you posted this a few days ago but i keep reading it. ur speach was amazing! i am so surprised about how you kept urself together. God is using u and ur family as a sign to all teenagers and He is using you to get the message across to teens. i strongly believe that teens should listen to all elders no matter how much older they are. i was one of those crying out there. Those pictures that were played when you spoke were very touching and the one of Zack in the hospital bed with tubes everywhere did me in. i cried along with a my friends around me. i cant even emagine what u are going through even though i try. i think i am speaking for all of CAL when i say this. You speking to the school and being so open about your accident has changed MANY lives. You doing this site and speaking has really turned my life around. i am kind of ashamed of what i thought was important b4 this accident but now i think i am beging to c what is important like family and love of ur family and ur closeness to God. Thanks You for all you and your family have done.

In Christ's Love
maddie

5:37 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your speech was amazing and i am glad i got the chance to talk to zack at school and at the game and also on the phone for a few minutes. Your whole family is so wonderful. On this day that you spoke to our middle school, i told dylan how much all of you mean to me and i told him always to hold on to his family because they will always be there for him no matter what. I just hope that he took to heart what i had to say. Well i just wanted to tell all of you how much i love your whole family and how much i love zack more than i ever thought possible for me to love anyone. thank you zack for your thunder and thank you all for staying the course!!! I LOVE YOU HORNBACKS!!! ~savannah Linscott

1:26 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home