Thursday, February 16, 2006

Wednesday February 15, 2006

Wednesday February 15, 2006 Zack is still battling fatigue and headaches but they don’t seem to be as severe or frequent. After a discussion with his vision therapist she feels that the headaches could be from eye strain. Because his visual perception problem makes reading difficult, the strain from this could be causing headaches. A simple solution could be reading glasses that enlarge the letters so that he doesn’t have to work as hard on focusing while reading. We are still waiting on insurance approval for the ACH-E inhibitor that will facilitate memory. Dr Perri is hoping that once he starts on this new medication we may see some relief from fatigue. Since fatigue seems to effect him the most in the afternoon we may try a Mountain Dew in his lunch for a little added pick me up. Wouldn’t it just be God’s way to solve our current problems so simply, with a little caffeine in soda and reading glasses. Saturday Zack bowled in the Brain Injury Association of Ky. bowling tournament and his team (Zack, Scott, Andrew and Andrew’s Dad) came in 2nd, missing first place by only 14 pins. Zack bowled well, many of his friends came to support him and he had a great time, so he really wasn’t that disappointed that his team didn’t win. Fox 41 came to the bowling alley to do a follow up story on him (they did the first story when he was as Frazier Rehab). Zack did a great job on his interview and we have had a lot of positive comments from people who saw him on TV.
We have been to a lot of Christian Academy (CAL) basketball games lately, mostly to see Zack’s friend Brooke play on the Girls Varsity Team. This gives him an opportunity to socialize with other students at CAL and to still feel like part of the student body. Several times he has seen different teachers, Mr. Greener or Mr. McKinley and everyone talks to him about his return to school. Scott and I will meet with the counselors, several teachers, Mr. Greener and Carol Britton next Thursday for a special conference to finalize Zack’s return on February 28th. Kyle has now started counting the days and reminding Zack. Thanks to everyone who has posted suggestions on how to obtain the laptop/notebook that Zack will need. We are pursuing several options and hope to have one by the time Zack starts his 2nd week of school. Now we are juggling his therapy schedule since he has vision therapy on Tuesdays and Thursdays at Frazier East which will soon be the days that he is in school. We will have to work on a whole new schedule to fit in the various therapies so that it doesn’t wear him out or interfere with school. I can only envision how much harder that will be once Zack is deeply involved with pageant practice (and the two weeks that he will perform every night). I know that God will bless his involvement in the Easter Pageant and maybe it will be with added energy and enthusiasm. Zack is still very cooperative. When we explain why certain schedules may have to change and how that will impact his ability to hang out with his friends, he agrees to focus on what is most important. I’m sure his friends will be as excited to see him return to school as he is to be back so that his first week could be a little distracting. Once things settle down I believe his teachers will appreciate his positive attitude and willingness to give 110%. After all they get to work side by side with God (a ring side seat to one of His current miracles) and have a hand in Zack’s recovery.
This weekend Zack is going to the Homecoming Dance at Male High School. He has several friends there (including our next door neighbor) and will be the date of two lucky ladies, Ashley and Dani. He says he is really looking forward to dancing again and I am sure he will not lack for partners. Of course Valentine’s Day did not go by unnoticed with two little girls in our house. Zack picked out a card from me that said “To my Husband”. When I looked at him like he was confused he laughed and told me to read it because he thought it was very funny. It contained a button that said “I’d be lost without my wife” which we made Scott wear to work that day. He wrote “I love you. Thanks for being there for me in the hospital. Please just stay with me. I love you”. His card to Scott was equally funny and touching. It was a birthday card with a little girl and her dog dressed in a tu-tu. He thought it was hilarious and it didn’t bother him in the least that it was not a Valentine’s card. To Scott he wrote “I just wanted to say thanks for being there for me and just try to stick to it. Thanks for being so scared when you first saw me in the hospital. Please just guide me to going to heaven. Thanks for being there Dad”. Of course Scott and I were both in tears and had to hold off reading our cards to each other. Another holiday that means so much more than it did last year. I spoke this morning at North Oldham Middle School to about 75 students through the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. After some initial electronic problems (the lap top for my slides wouldn’t work, then the projector failed and the mic wouldn’t cooperate) we finally got started. This was about the 8th or 9th time I have done this but I was still emotional. I think looking at the faces of teenagers and talking about Zack, choices, struggles, prayers, forgiveness, authority, grace…it makes me realize just how far God has carried us. How blessed we truly are to put our faith in the great physician. Zack told me he enjoyed giving the interview on TV, he wasn’t scared and thought it was good. He said the same thing when he answered questions at Hurstbourne Baptist Church. I pray that God is preparing him for the day when he can give his own testimony. How much more of an impact would it make on a teenage audience to have one of their own confront them with their choices. To have him explain how God will walk with them “through the valley of the shadow of death”. They will not be alone. How powerful it will be to hear Zack tell his story. I know we are a ways away from that right now but maybe that is what God impresses upon him when he is running. Zack frequently comes back from his trek around the neighborhood and tells me he got closer to God.
We no longer fear tomorrow. At times we may be anxious or a little apprehensive but we are not afraid. We trust God. We must trust that he not only knows what is best but He also knows what is ahead. And recovery is ahead. Pray that Zack’s return to school will be seen as a blessing by everyone. Pray that his involvement in the Easter Pageant will be a spiritual experience that will energize him, not wear him out. Pray for his complete recovery for the glory of God!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is so great to have a new update! Thanks for the time you spend keeping us posted. We'll continue to pray.

7:11 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mrs. Hornback, My name is Katie Carpenter and I am an 8th grader at Barret TMS, I am the secretary for our class. I am commenting you to find out your e-mail address. My counselor is looking for a motivional speaker to talk to our 8th grade class on Tuesday morning April 11th. Right away I thought of you since you have such a great, inspiring story to share! I have kept up with Zack's progress and read the blogs you write! (When I receieve your e-mail I will give you more details about this.)Just to help you know who I am, my dad, sister and I brought Zack communion a while back when he was recovering in Frazier. Also, to let you know a few of the Barret students: Emily Bryant, a neighbor of yours! Also, Macie Allen. (Her dad Greg Allen is the worship leader at our church, Southeast Christian!)
When you get a chance if you can e-mail me back at
KTsweEtie83@aol.com that would be great! Thanks, and I hope this works out for you!!!

5:11 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very good stuff.

8:25 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home