Sunday, July 17, 2005

Friday, July 15, 2005

Friday July 15, 2005 Zack has a fever this morning of 100.1, which means his body is fighting something. He is less responsive today than yesterday. The Critical Care Team will come around and assess him during rounds to determine whether they can exurbate him (remove the tube in his mouth). At 4:00 AM they put him on T-Piece (TP). This is a smaller tube that gives him humidified oxygen as he breathes. He remains on TP for 2 hours and then returns to Cpap (this provides only pressure to encourage him to take a breath). We are preparing him for his 7:00 AM exam because he has to perform well for the doctors in order for the tube to be pulled. Zack does not do well. He will not give thumbs up or even wiggle his toes and Dr. Lenhardt says he is not ready. I am very disappointed because last night I kept promising Zack we would get that tube out. I get Dr. Lenhardt to agree to come back later in the morning justifying Zack’s lack of responses to his rough night sleeping. After some pitiful pleading the team agrees to reevaluate him later. My spirits are low and I am very emotional. We have been so blessed with how fast he has been recovering that we expect new progress everyday. Zack looks tired but his eyes are open more and he seems to be watching the golf game on TV. At 11:00 the team returns but Zack does no better. Dr Lenhardt is very cautious and doesn’t want to remove the tube yet. He explains that the important thing is that Zack is off the ventilator and breathing on his own. I explain that the important thing to me is that Zack does not like the tube down his throat so we want it out. It is hard to go from Dr Lenhardt’s cautious approach when we have gotten use to Dr Densler’s aggressive one. He agrees to give Zack one more chance today so Kim Myre (the nurse practitioner for the Neuro Team) discusses with Tom and Christy (our day nurses) putting him in a chair. They feel he will be more alert in a chair and they will also put him back on TP. I go in to talk with Zack and for the first time I am frustrated with him. I feel like he is being stubborn and after much coaxing he gives me a small thumbs up. At 2:00 PM they put his helmet on and put him in the chair (this is a special type of stretcher that adjusts into a chair). Dr Densler and Dr Munchnick (Nuero Team) come by as they are moving him to the chair and see how upset I am. They come in and discuss options. They request his blood gases be checked. They will look to see how his body is processing carbon dioxide, which is an indictor of how well he will do off the tube. Dr Densler reminds me that a Trach could be the next step and it is not a bad thing. At 2:30 I bring a group of 11 of Zack’s friends into his room. We close the door and they talk with him. It is so critical to his recovery that he has his friends around. They are able to get a thumb wiggle out of him, which heightens all our spirits. Throughout the day Zack remains inconsistent in following verbal command. He still localizes to pain (brings his hand up to where they pinch him) but he’s just not moving around as much. I am an emotional wreck waiting for miracles that don’t come. God is giving me lessons in patience because it is not one of my virtues. At 6:00 PM coach Woods (one of Zack’s baseball coaches) comes to see him. As he talks to him it appears Zack is listening intently. He keeps giving him baseball signals and Zack responds to the “wipe off” sign.
He moves his arms several times and we are encouraged that he’s still in there. Scott is staying tonight so that I can get a little sleep and take the edge off of my emotions. We have set up Zack to have no visitors after 9:00 PM tonight so that he can get some rest and be ready for his assessment in the morning. We will try to get the tube removed if Zack will start responding again to verbal commands. He looks so tired. I ask for prayers that Zack will be giving the thumbs up again and he will fight off infection. I ask for specific prayers that I will get my peace back and not be so restless. I thank all of those people who faithfully come to the hospital and wait with us, giving encouragement. Our God is so powerful but sometimes he needs to slow things down so we can hear His whispers and feel His healing touch. Keep praying.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eileen and Scott
I wish I could be there with you but please know I am with you there in spirit. I pray for Zack and both of you for your continued strength. Zach will come thru he just wants a little extra rest right now, he must know that he has a long road ahead of him. Carey and Shelby ask about Zach and are praying for him too. Stay strong little sister we are all praying for Zach and those prayer will be answered.

Karen

8:30 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a mom of two teenagers I know the pain and suffering you must be going through watching your son struggle. I will pray for you daily "mom to mom" that you will feel the presence of God when it is hard to. During hard times it is easy to call to God and rely on him, but not always feel him as much, because it does not always go the way that we want. I am so thankful to hear of the progress he has made thus far and just pray that this will continue. I know that this has touched many teenagers and made them really take a look at things from a different perspective. I am sorry that it was Zack, but I feel God is using this for his Glory to show others what he can do through those who believe in him and trust in him.

I have a hard time not thinking about this as the days go by and I do not even know you that well. I did go to school with Scotts brothers and we are friends with the Getz. Whenever I think of you and your family, I will stop to ask God for continued healing and for patience for you to get through the really difficult times.

Please know that God will never leave your side. This is a scripture that has been very important to me through hard times in my life lately.....

(2 Corinthians 4:17) For our present troubles are quite small and won't last very long. Yet they produce for us an immeasurably great glory that will last forever.

This scripture has been very helpful to me when I become impatient and want things to happen quicker than Gods plan. To us time is so hard, but God comforts us by letting us know that when we look back there will be blessings from all of lifes obstacles that we must travel through on this journey.

Thank you for taking the time to update people on Zack's progress. Many people hurt for you and are praying for God's continued healing.

Beth Barton

9:58 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. and Mrs. Hornback,

I found out about the accident the day it happened from Kaelyn Goodman. You don't know how much Zach's story has affected my life. Just two weeks ago he sat 2 seats down from me at the David Crowder Band concert and now that all this has happened it is just shocking. I'm not really a personal friend of Zach's but I remember him from when I went to CAL and when i used to play baseball at Southeast. I still remember the day that he was pitching and pinned me on the back with a crazy pitch. I dont think I could ever forget. Zach is a fine young man and I believe that he will get better as time goes on. Trust in God and always rely on him and never lose hope. He loves you so very much. In Christ, Briana Merante <><

10:50 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mr. mrs. hornback-
I have been trying to read this website everyday and try to find what the major needs for the day are and pray for those and for him to come back to us. I really dont know your son that well but my family and I are praying and my church, Northisde Christian in New Albany IN, are also praying for him. God has blessed Zack with friends and family that are loving and caring. I really never thought this would impact me as much as it has. MAy God Put in HIs Hands or protection over Zack, the family and friends, and the doctors and nurses that look over him every single day. Zack will come back to us VERY soon. MAy the love of God and the love of all the people that are praying for him be around you always!

12:02 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. and Mrs. Hornback,
I have not stopped praying for your son ever since i received the phone call informing me of what happened to Zack. I do not know your son extremely well, but i have been to a couple baseball games and saw his wonderful and eminent smile every day at school. Merely imagining what you must be dealing with day to day has brought me to tears. I wanted so much to deny that all of this was happening, especially since most people hear about these accidents, never realizing that in a heartbeat it could happen to them. There are no words to express my sympathy except that God promises us that He will not give us more than we can handle. He must know that you must be the strongest parents in the world. I pray that when Zack is asleep God uses it to talk to Zack, and i think that is what God is doing. I think God is revealing himself to Zack and telling him how much He loves him and that He is going to take care of him. I can see the Lord holding Zack in his arms so tightly reassuring him that everything is going to be ok. Matthew 5:4 says, "Blessed are those who mourn for they will be comforted." I pray that God will continue to give you peace. I know that right now he is holding your family so closely. My prayers for Zack will continue as I know he will pull through this. He has already impacted so many peoples' lives and he has not even said a word to them. I remember seeing Zack's face in his room and just knowing that God was going to use him. Thank you so much for taking time to update everyone on his status. I can't wait to see Zack's adorable smile again!
Andrea Chadwick

6:24 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey...i jus wanted to let you know you are daily in my and my families prayers...God has a plan for all of this! keep your faith and kepp praying!

7:25 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have heard many great things about zack because i have many friends who know him, and i was very shocked and saddened to hear the news about him. but God has a plan for him, and i believe that he will be strong and stay with us. your family is in my prayers, especially zack. thank you for keeping us updated on his recovery. i really like to know what has been happening with him. and always remember that God is watching over us all, but especially zack. God Bless.

8:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mr. and mrs. hornback; thank you all so much for the continued updates and the encouragement. we are all praying for zack and for the two of you and your family. we know this is hard on you all. you are in our thoughts and prayers!!

the shivelys

11:47 PM

 

<< Home