Sunday, July 17, 2005

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Thursday July 14, 2005, I arrived about 6:30 AM anxious for my update from Stephanie (the night nurse). He had a great night. He put his thumb up, so Stephanie was asking for 2 fingers. Since he wouldn’t do it she turned to leave the room and happened to glance back at him. There he was tapping 2 fingers on his chest. We don’t know if he is being stubborn or if his reactions were just a little slow. I look forward to my morning time alone with him. He is alert. He has stopped the shaking and we think he is starting to get used to what they have to do to him. I try to get the thumbs up from him. I was holding his right hand when he started very purposefully rubbing the top of my hand. Since the beginning when I am with him I stroke his hand or arm. Now he is returning that love. He also snapped his fingers twice. I tried to get him to do it for Stephanie but that seemed to be a trick only for Mom. He tapped his upper chest with 2 fingers. I know he’s saying that he doesn’t want that tube down his throat. It brings tears to my eyes and his. They could not have torn me from his room, so again I was allowed to stay with him through rounds. At 9:00 AM Dr. Mutchnick came in to remove Zack’s bolt (the monitor that measures his ICP). He started to prep for surgery. Again I was allowed to be there to hold Zack’s hands and comfort him. Since he seems to be very resistant to pain medication they decided not to fool around, and dosed him heavily with morphine and sedatives. Christy is our nurse today. The plastic surgeon came in to check out the last stitch job on his head laceration. It was sealed tight and looked good, but because of the trauma to that area, Zack will not grow hair on a patch a little bigger than a quarter. Luckily he likes to wear hats. They removed the bolt and took a few stitches. That area will heal fine. They came in and fitted him with a helmet. Once the tube is out of his throat he will wear the helmet unless he is sleeping and until his scull is reattached (probably in 3 months). The occupational therapist came in about 11:00 to work with his arms and hands. We are very lucky that Zack has “full range” which means they can take his arms up over his head. Because he had so much morphine during surgery he was pretty quiet most of the day, not really responding to commands. We decided that God rested on the 7th day and so should Zack. His friends came and I took several in to see him. I discussed with a group of about 12 or 15 the plan for visits in the next several days. It is important to Zack’s recovery that his friends be able to visit him. They need it and so do I. We want to keep him stimulated during the day but resting at night. We’ve started to turn the TV on and opened his blinds. Later that night Andy Raines came to visit and we went up to see Zack. Andy thought that he looked uncomfortable and told him to wiggle his toes if he wanted to sit up. Immediately he moved his toes. Good signs since most of the day he was not consistently following commands. We know he can do it unless he is too tired so I think he is starting to be stubborn (he is a teenager). I don’t think he is going to cooperate much until we remove the tube. My niece Sherry and Mary Rivard went up to see him at 11:00 PM. They were talking to him when very suddenly Zack came off his bed about 3 feet and opened both eyes very wide. He looked directly at Mary and then Sherry before lying back down. Tonight’s nurse Marca said he was trying very hard to “wake up”. They sent for me and the next two hours were very emotional. His eyes are open but he’s not all the way there. He is not in a coma but he is not awake. He keeps squeezing my hand and purposefully pointing to the tube. He is not restrained and at times tears fall from his eyes. My heart aches, I am overcome with emotion and I promise him that the tube will come out tomorrow. I am fortunate to have my good friend Teri and niece Sherry here with me. It is hard on all of us. I make the decision to stay the night in his room to calm him down when the panic sets in. My brother in law Jay arrives and is grief stricken to see Zack in such turmoil. I feel as though I am giving birth to him all over again only this time he is the one experiencing the pain. This has been the hardest time since the 1st day. I know that he is aware and asking me to help him. I beg God for the peace that I had earlier. I turn again to the 23rd Psalm and pray with Zack hoping he can understand me through choked-backed tears. I dwell on the scripture that God only disciplines those he loves. I look up and see the button someone brought for Zack that says, “I am loved”. He is loved…by me, his Dad, his family and so many other people. But most importantly he is loved by God. I don’t know how anyone could make it through this kind of tragedy without faith in Christ. The peace that passes all understanding is a gift of love from God to those who believe and trust in Him. I pray for those who are here hurting and don’t know Jesus. I ask all of you to pray for Zack, for Matt (the driver of the car) and maybe a few more hours of sleep for me.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. & Mrs. Hornback-
zack and i have been friends for about 3 years now.i was shocked when i heard about the accident.he is such an awesome person and he has always been a good friend to me.i just wanted to let u all know that i care about zack a lot and i am praying for him as well as the rest of your family everyday.
<3 britney nance

5:27 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. & Mrs. Hornback,
Im praying for zack all the time, everytime he crosses my mind i say a littler prayer for him. I feel God working in my own life, because of payer and studing his word to find relief, Zack has helped me.
in Christ,
Lindsey

6:20 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. and Mrs. Hornback
you may not know me but ive known zack for a while, through michael getz. hes one of the funniest and friendliest guys i know. i pray for your family and zack everyday. im so glad that he's starting to pull through, i knew he could! i will continue praying day in and day out.
god bless
taylor barton

6:23 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zack is a funny, cool, weird guy, you gotta love him! Every time I think about Zack I pray for him and ask god to pull him through. You can do it Zack!

8:11 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mR. & mRs. HoRnbaCK..

i dOnT kNow zaCk buT i hAvE fRieNDs ThaT aRe fRIEnds of hiS.. iM sO gLaD tHaT hE is pUlliNg tHRougH i KnEw hE cOuLd.. iM aLwaYs pRaYiNg fOR ZacK aNd hiS FaMiLy. yOu guYs aRe aLl sOo sTrOnG. God hAs bLessEd yOu aLl aNd hE wiLl cOnTiNuE tO aMaZe uS tHRougH zAcKs rEcOveRy!!

gOd BlEss..
iM aLwaYs pRaYiNg!

8:48 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mr. and mrs. hornback-
i've been praying hard for zack and i'm confident that Jesus will give him a full recovery and that his life will impact ALOT of people. his life and this website has impacted my life in a huge way and its cool to see GOD workin in zack's life.
in crist,
-morgan read

9:36 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zac wasn't like one of my best friend-brother types, but I've still known him for a while and is one of my friends. I heard about the accident the first day and it was so hard to believe it was the same person i was joking around with in Geometry a couple of months back! His injuries were severe, but being the type of person I am, i refuse to lay emphasis on all the negative points. What i do want to point out is that God has laid his healing hand on Zac and He is also guiding the doctors hands, minds, and decisions. But think of this...think about the type of Christian witness it is to see such awesome improvement in Zacs health to friends, family, and Hospital workers! THe Bible says God works for the good of those who love Him and are called according to his purpose. This scripture applies to this circumstance in evry way, and we can thank God for being in total control in this situation and in these circumstances. I will continue to pray for his continual healing and for the family to be strong in their faith God's sovereign control.

10:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mr and mrs hornback,
you dont know me and i dont really know zack, but i know lots of peopple who do. i have been keeping up with this blog and so many people appreciate it. this post has been really hard for me to read. i also go to southeast and i want you to know that everyone there is keeping zack in their prayers and we are looking forward to his recovery and return. love and prayers

10:18 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. & Mrs. Hornback:
i wanted u both to kno that i am continually praying for zack. i am having a hard time w.o zack bc there r so many parts of my life that he was involved wit that he isnt here for now. i saw him almost everyday. i saw him sunday (2 days after the accident) thru friday but i havent gotten to c him saturday or sunday. im moving 2morro (monday) and tuesday. soo many memories wer made there wit zack and its so hard to think he may never remember anything that happened there. its also hard knowing he promised hed b there to help me thru it because i already thot it would be hard enough. i never thot i would have to go through this with out my best friend by my side. zack was always there for me when me and andrew would fight. as u kno andrew (as well as other highschool boys) can b very stubborn n short tempered. zack being andrews best friend could always help me with my and andrews problems because he knew him so well n knew exactly what to say. i miss zack so much and cant wait til he wakes up. i hate to see him in so much pain because if i was ever in pain he was always there to help. this is something i cant control and is only in Gods hands. I have complete faith in God and know that he will help zack in his recovery. My prayers will continue and i will be at the hospital everyday as i have been to support zack as well of both of you as you go through the hard times. You raised zack to be a great guy and i really do thank you.

Love,
taylor

10:23 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr and Mrs Hornback
Altough i have not been able to make it to the hospital in the past couple of days, it doesnt mean that Zack is not in my thoughts and prayers! i am so happy to hear about his quick recovery and i know that God has so much more in store for him. There is not a day that goes by that i dont stop and pray for him. He is a wonderful guy and i cant wait to see him healthy again soon!
Lindsay Densmore

11:51 PM

 

<< Home