Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Monday, July 18, 2005

Monday July 18, 2005 Zack’s white count is 12, up slightly from yesterday so he continues to fight this infection. His heart rate and respiratory are good. He qualified to be put on a new antibiotic called Linezolid that only Infectious Decease Control can prescribe. We are very fortunate because all of the other patients in Nuero ICU are on Vancomycian to treat their infection. This new drug was developed to aggressively attack MRSA. Dr Lenhardt says it kills everything but the patient. It is also expensive so they are very picky who is allowed in the program. Now we have Dr Vanmeter from ID following Zack’s infection. Zack had a slight fever through the night that was treated with Motrin. Stephanie (night nurse) said he had a panic attack last night where his Heart Rate reached 150 and Respiratory 45. I saw this happen once before and his eyes are wide open and you can see a sense of panic about him. We just hold his hand, talk to him quietly and he settles down. Fevers can trigger these panic attacks. He still isn’t considered awake but he is not in a coma. Yolanda (day nurse) gives me the best description of his condition. It is like he’s daydreaming. I like that better than the medical term for this phase which is “unresponsive”. At 4:00 PM he is moved to his chair and given physical therapy. He is sitting higher and he can see out the window. It is a beautiful sunny day and Zack seems very interested in looking outside. I talk with Karen his physical therapist and she gives me hope with lots of stories of other patients she has seen recover from head trauma. She tells me that Zack is in the “miracle room”. It is called that because of the patients that were there and thought to be hopeless but recovered. There was a 60-year-old teacher that was totally unresponsive for two months. His wife wouldn’t give up even when they discussed turning off life support. One day he just woke up and today he is teaching again. Or the young man who was there just last February and this month is trying out as the place kicker for his high school football team. I should have known that God’s path would lead Zack to bed 4 where miracles happen. After physical therapy he remains in his chair. He gets a visit from 2 of his friends who happen to be female. He seems to appreciate the change in voices and tries hard to respond to verbal commands for thumbs up. His hand shakes and you can tell he is really trying. I have hope that tomorrow we will begin to get him back to where he was last Wednesday. Epiphany church delivers a healing blanket for Zack. It is still apparent than many people who don’t even know him are diligently praying for his recovery. At 6:00 PM Yolanda tries to brush his teeth. He still keeps them tightly clenched. Scott tells him how nasty his teeth will be and demands that he open his mouth. To their surprise he opens up. It figures that his vanity would make him cooperate. Zack is still in there and we pray that God will wake him up soon. Thankfully Scott’s spirit is lifted for his ride home, which is always hard for him. Keep praying. Thursday is Scott’s birthday and he would like nothing more than Zack to wake up. What a gift from God that would be!

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eileen,
I just heard about your son. My thoughts and prayers are with your family at this time. I will continue to pray for his recovery.

Laura Abbott

4:43 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My stepmother's sister is Kelly Paul. She is best friends with zach's mom. i have never met zach before but i was asked to send a message. DO NOT LOSE HOPE. 1 year ago i was in a severe motorcycle accident. i broke 7 bones, bruised my heart badly, ruptured my spleen, collapsed both lungs, had a concussion, and doctors couldnt stop the bleeding into my lungs. for those who were there, the doctors said there was a high chance i wouldnt live. everyday i got worse and even had a temperature of 105. but through prayers and people being there for me, i was only in the hospital 2 1/2 weeks, and was walking on my left leg that i broke in 3 spots after 3 weeks. i have made a 100% recovery and if thats not a story of hope i dont know what is. thats cutting my story pretty short but i will let you know that i will pray for zach, and that through God, Zach will pull through. everyone needs to be strong and realize God granted me a second chance at life and he will do the same for Zach.

4:59 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,

I just wanted to add my prayers to the many that are going up on Zach's behalf. I ask for strength for the family, wisdom for the Drs and health care providers. I ask that every drop of medication be ifused with the power of the Holy Spirit,and that the resurrection power that brought our Christ out of the tomb will saturate Zach. So be it.

5:05 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im glad that zach is doing a lot better. And you bet he'd open his mouth if he knew what would happen if he didnt. Zach's such a wonderful boy and I cant wait until he can walk down those CAL halls and flash that bright smile that he carries so proudly. He's a wonderful boy and you are lucky parents to have raised him. (although he can be quite stubborn) my prayers are with you and yoru family. keep hope!

6:42 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott & Eileen
I am praying.
Colleen

9:04 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

god is working miracles

9:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would just like to tell you how much Zack's story has affected my life and decisions i make everyday. I used to think very little about bad choices I made when I was with my friends, but because of zack I no longer give in to peer pressure and remember how much this accident hurt your family. Zack's story has touched me and I am praying for him and your family. May God be with you as you face this obstacle in your life.

9:42 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Zach,
Before long you will be reading this site and be amazed at the number of people who have lifted you before the Lord in prayer. Your life will be forever changed when you discover how many people care for you. Saturday night I woke up in the middle of the night with you on my mind and sensed an urgency to pray for you. I just read your mom's report and discovered you were having a difficult time when I was called to pray. There are probably many similiar stories about prayers offered for your recovery that you may never hear.
I plan to stop by the hospital to pray for you with your friends and parents later this week. In middle school we have also been praying for Dylan. I'm sure he will be apprehensive to begin school, especially sixth grade, while being concerned about you. It seems like just a year or so ago you were in sixth grade!
I can't wait to read your mom's report on the day you flash her that beautiful smile with your bright eyes gleaming!
Know that you are in my prayers and those of many many others.

Mrs. Thomas

9:43 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Hornback Family,

You don't know me, but my thoughts and prayers are with you. You see my husband is in UL hospital and has MRSA, he has had 19 surgeries now trying to keep it under control. He has been on Vancomycian and it has not worked. I'm glad I went into your web site because, I am going to bring up Linezolid for my husband. I know some what about what you are going thru. Please, know that your in our thoughts and prayers. I told my husband about your son. He said, to tell you he hopes everything will be ok, and to always cherish your family and keep them close to your heart. Take care! And we will continue to check on Zach. Take care! Remember there are angels watching over him.

10:11 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello...im so sorry for what happened...this is a very hard time for all of you...just remember to always look up...things will get better if you keep the faith...ive added Zach to the prayer list at my churh, Shively Christian...there can never be enough prayers...never lose hope in anything

12:19 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mrs. hornback im sorry i havnt been up to visit i have been out of town but i will be up in the next day or so... i saw you driving in the neighborhood today and i almost cried, i know im not real close to you all but reading all of this somedays just wakes me up and i get to thinking about things and i cry, im praying and waiting everyday for Zack to wake up.... Lynn

12:20 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. I dont know your son, but i'm truely sorry with all my heart. I know this is excpetionally hard for you all. Nothing fails with God and i'm sure Zach will recover well. Faith goes a long way. I've added Zach to the prayer list at Shively Christian. Never lose hope in any situation. Zach will be just fine and i cant wait for the day to hear he's just recovered. Keep believing

12:27 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. I dont know who Zach is, but i heard about his accident from a friend. I'm truely sorry with all my heart and i can understand this is exceptionally hard for you all. Nothing ever fails with God and remember that prayer goes a long way. Zach will recover well i'm sure with him in everyone's heart. I've added his name to the prayer list at Shively Christian. Never stop believing. I've been keeping up with this page to see Zach's recovering and when he does i can't wait to hear about it. I'm sure Zach's a great kid and it'll be awesome when he gets to go back to being that person. Keep the faith
-Heather

12:34 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mr & mrs hornback
i pray everyday that zack will get better. I know for a fact that he is going to pull through this because he is such a strong person. i cant wait till he is better and we can hang out because he always keeps me laughing. i cant even hear him laugh without it bringing a smile to my face. i dont think i have ever prayed so much in my life. Everytime i am just sitting around, driving, or am just quite i find myself praying for zack. i cant wait till he is back being his old self and making us all laugh!
lauren z

1:29 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never met Zach. I know a couple of people that are friends with him so I got word of his accident and this website... I just want you all to know that I am praying for each of you, especially Zack. Eileen, your faith in our God is astounding...through reading this blog, I have been reminded of God's glory and the amazing things He is capable of. He is with Zack and all of you, every moment of this...Stay strong. I am praying (along with a lot of other people!) the power of prayer is awesome... I cannot wait to log in and read that Zack has fully woken up... with love

2:03 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey again! I just wanted you to know I haven't, for one minute, forgotten about Zack and you guys! I was so excited to read this last post and find out that my church, Epiphany, sent a healing blanket. That really touched me and made me happy to know that even more people are there. I am going to try and come to visit you again tomorrow. I hope to see you soon! Remember, if you need a break I'd love to watch the kids for you!
Much Love,
Meredith Ley

2:11 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eileen and Scott
Thank you so much for taking the time to keep us updated on Zacks condition. It is so good to know how to pray specifically for all of you. The picture that you posted of Zack before the accident has been an incredible tool for my prayers for him. I can look at his mouth and pray for God to use Zacks words to reach others with His love. I look at his ears and know that God will give him the ability to hear the hurts of others. I see his "mind" and know that God is renewing it each day. And I see his eyes! Who could resist those beautiful eyes!? God will take this tragedy and use it for good. That's just what God does. I pray for you every day and there is a part of me that is able to feel, at least in part, some of your pain. I guess that's what we call weeping with those who weep. And in every step forwrd I rejoice with you. Hang in there Hornbacks! Know that you are loved and prayed for.

8:26 AM

 

<< Home