Friday, July 29, 2005

Thursday July 28, 2005

Thursday July 28, 2005 It was a rough night last night. Zack was doing the river dance with his legs until 2:30 AM. He was all over the place and half the time both feet were hanging off the bed. I had to keep getting up to cover him and put his feet back in bed. I remember at University when he wasn’t moving his legs at all how I would pray for any movement. The nurses use to tell me that there would come a time when I would wish he would just hold still. Well…that was last night. Dr Stevens (physiatrist) and Heidi (resident) came in at 5:30 and woke us both up to evaluate him. It seems comical now that they turned on the lights and asked me questions after 3 hours of sleep when my brain wasn’t functioning, but they have to cover for Dr LaRossa so rounds start early this week. Jennifer is our nurse today and she has worked at Frazier for 5 years so I can feel confident with her care. Dr Skolnick (pulmonary) comes by with his resident and discussed changing his trach to one that can be plugged so he could talk when he is ready. Zack is reaching up and feeling his face. He fingers his eyebrows and feels his ears. I love to watch him but today I am very emotional. I haven’t cried in a few days and now the floodgates are opened. I look at Zack and he seems to handle this with such dignity and grace that I am ashamed of myself. I feel a battle within between Gods will and my fearful conclusions. I try to read my Bible but instead get out a journal and pour my feeling into it. Dr Borhan (pulmonary resident) comes in to check on Zack and sits down to talk with me awhile. The staff here cares so much, not just for Zack but for his family too. A Nutritionist comes by and explains that Zack has been getting 1800 calories and they want to start beefing that up to 2100. We need to build up his strength so he can really participate in therapy. 10:30 I notice some blood on his pillow. He has scratched his head wound and it is bleeding. We will have to pay close attention because stitches itch and his hands are roaming now. I have requested a consult with a wound care nurse so we can review the orders on how to care for it. 11:00 Amy (physical therapist) arrives for some bedside therapy but we spend most of her time getting Zack dressed. It is so good for both of us for him to be in regular clothes. At 1:00 his wheelchair arrives and we go to the gym for the 1st time. It is hard work and Zack at times resist and gets a little mad. Amy tells me that is a good sign. They bring out a full size mirror and for the 1st time he sees himself. He stares intently and I get the impression that he doesn’t believe it is him. Mary Beth (occupational therapy) shows me several moves that I can continue to work on with Zack in his room. He really has a lot of tone in his right arm and shoulder. He is also neglecting his right side. He will not look at anyone to the right (common reaction since his brain injury is on the left side) so we need to stand on that side to encourage him to look that way. It is hard since he will look at you from the other side so everyone wants to be on his left to see those beautiful eyes. We move to speech therapy and meet Kathy Pfeiffer. She turns out the lights and uses a small flashlight and tries to get him to track to the right. This is going to be our biggest battle right now…getting him to recognize the right side. She uses ice cubes on his cheek to stimulate him. She rubs ice on his lips to try and get him to lick them. He salivates but doesn’t swallow. He is very tired after PT (physical therapy) and OT (occupational therapy). When we return to his room there some of his friends were waiting. One of the nurses suggested we take him outside since it was such a pretty day. We are all very excited to spend a 15 minutes with him in the sunshine. It was a bit overwhelming with the bright sun and traffic noises. I could tell after only a few minutes that it was too much stimulation so we came back to the room and put him in bed. Dr. Skolnick came by and ordered a chest x-ray and culture of his sputum (the fluid in the upper respiratory). Larry (the 21 yr old motorcycle accident/brain injury survivor) and his Mom come by to see us. Zack is asleep worn out from his therapy. I need to be asleep. We talk about Larry’s recovery and again I am overcome with emotion. I want so badly to see Zack in the condition that Larry is in. Walking, talking, going to school, having fun with his friends. It takes a good cry to get it out but I am so glad Larry came by. It is encouraging to look into the future and see great possibilities. Dr Miller (physiatrist resident) explains that we really have to be aware of over stimulating Zack at this point or he can become very agitated and stop responding. They put a “quiet zone” note on our door and want to limit how many people are in the room at one time. We have to be careful that there are not several conversations going on at once. I want him to have visitors and the doctors agree as long as we are sensitive to Zack’s responses. As he moves through these phases of recovery we will have to be flexible especially after a big day of therapy when he needs to rest. Scott, Donna and the nurses convince me that I need to go home and get some rest. Sometimes when I am here I can’t see how far he has come with his recovery. Friends that haven’t seen him in a few days are amazed at how good he looks and how much more alert he seems. I realize if I am stressed out and emotional it is not good for Zack. As badly as I want to always be by his side I go home. Scott stays until it is time for his bath, knowing that afterwards he will sleep for the night. I ask for prayers that I will be patient with God’s timing. I ask for wisdom to know when it would be better for Zack for me to leave him in the excellent care of the staff here. I ask everyone to continue to pray that Zack’s recovery will be used to glorify God. Please pray that his friends will visit and leave believing in the power of prayer. That we will send out of Zack’s room many witness for Christ…that they will be encouraged to speak of their faith.
On the lighter side…God took care of my ants. Now I need him to take care of the skunks so that when I am home my dog doesn’t get attached and bring it in the house. It is hard to sleep with your fingers holding your nose.

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is so great to hear how good Zack is doing now. I plan to come by and see him next week. I can't wait. God will definitely continually bless his recovery and your family.
Andrianna Boer

5:15 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is so wonderful to see God working in Zack's life! Remember God is in control and he loves you very much and there are hundreds of people praying for Zack and his family. Keep your eyes on God and his love. Praying for you each day!!! Lana Hardin

5:50 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it is so amazing how well zack is doing. i have read these post from day one and i was devistated when i found out what happen and how horrible it really was. everyday as i read the post my eyes tear up, though usually they are tears of joy! and i constantly at this site to see if any new updates are posted, maybe 5 or 6 times a day. im so glad to hear how well zach is doing daily its like a miracle and i have also been praying since day one and i contine to. i just want you to know zach and your family are in my prays, as well as all of my friends. he is a strong boy and can over come anything. and thank you for keeping everyone updated daily, it means a lot. God bless.

6:39 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have been praying for Zack since the beginning and it seems like he is doing a lot better. We know God is in control and that He will take care of things for you. Our prayers will continue.
God bless~ Rachel Porterfield and Kelsey Slade

8:31 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wE aRe So PrOuD oF yOo!!

9:07 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

its breanne again. i love all these updates. its awesome that yall keep this going. i am SO proud of zack. what an amazing guy huh?.. hes soo strong! and he will always be! god bless!
-Breanne Martel

10:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm So Glad Zack is doing better. It is a long road ! but after he is better it will seem so short. MY thoughts and prayers r with you and Zack and your family. Our church has ZACK on our prayer list . God belss you Zack and your family and friends!!!

9:03 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One day at a time. Each one seems to bring a new victory as well as a new challenge. But there are no victories without challenge. I stand in awe of your faith and detemination. Our prayers are with you daily.
Leah

10:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was very moved by your entry. I was just trying to picture in my mind all the things Zack is doing now. I can already see that your faith is increasing and that will always influence Zack. Our prayers are with you daily. I can see Gods hand in so many things that you have described. I'm so glad you are sharing your heart with us. You keep taking care of yourself, Eileen.
Love, Julia Curry

12:16 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who ran to help me when I fell,
and would some pretty story tell,
or kiss the place to make it well?
......my mother. Jane Taylor

A Mothers Hands
The third day of Zack's hospitalization at U of L, I told Scott, tearfully,"I never noticed before what beautiful hands Eileen has. Her hands are so beautiful."

I've sat and watched these beautiful hands flutter around Zack and the room like a butterfly.Touching his precious face, arms, legs, patting him ever so loveingly on his frail chest right above his heart.In a moment whipping around in the air communicating in detail with a doctor or a nurse.Then hugging compassionatly a guest that has just arrived.Then they are back to Zack. "Do you see me zack?Do you feel me?Mothers here."

If Zack is resting her beautiful hands do not.They are working,working.Taking notes all through the day.Pages & pages of information.Ask her a question and the hands go to work.Flipping through all the painstaking documentation that has comsumed their lives in a 15x20 room for the past 23 days.The nurses don't have to go to the charts.They just ask the hands.

It's late at night.Zack is resting.Aware, or not, his eyes open or closed, he is still.Only the sounds of equipment,his breathing,a labored cough.But the hands don't rest.They pound and click the keyboard of the lap top.Flipping through the notes.Click,Click,Click.He moves,she looks,she listens.Are his eyes open?Does he need something?The hands clasp up around her heart.Back to the keyboard.Click,Click,Click.Well into the night.

These tender loving hands can also be strong,demanding,fighting for Zack.I've seen them crossed across a mothers chest,eyes focused,eye to eye with a doctor."Whats going on?Is this the best for my son?What's your answer?Your answer is not good enough!"

The hands and her body literally get up into the bed with Zack during physical therapy with two women therapist.Six womens hands to maneuver,ply,kneed the limbs of her son.Her hands grasp tenderly but firmly on a thin leg,stiff thin arms,supporting his wobbling weak heavy head.All the while the touch of her hand, the consoling voice,"Zack it's mommmy.Do you hear me?Good job Zack."Hands,flutter,flutter,flutter

The hands never tire.Home at 1am(they will be going again at 5am).Throw in a load of Laundry,let the dog out.Dirty dishes,a pair of dirty laboring boots abandoned on the floor by the exhausted loving father.Little cloths that worked so hard through the day at play lay crumpled on the floor by sleeping childrens beds.The hands go through the quiet dark house at their task.They pat the precious heads, they kiss the soft cheeks,they haven't touched for days.A kiss, a good night.Perhaps she will finally sit down at the mirror, exhaused,not recognizing her own features.Alone,elbows proped on the table,hands holding her cheeks.Praying,pondering,questioning,at her reflection.As tears run thourgh the fingers, across the hands that worked so hard for Zack today.

We,parent,loved ones,staff, friends,watch in amazement, awe,admiration at the mothers hands.They have become Zack's hands,his legs,his feet,body,mind.They are his link to the world around him.His world in a 15x20 room on the 4th floor of Fraizer rehab.In this space prayers are made,are working at a pace we cannot measure,have been answered and are waiting to be answered.In this space celebration can occur at the movement of a single eye,a flutter of an eye lash,movement of a lip,twitch of a finger,wiggle of a toe.In this space,where time stands still, the outside world goes by,the loving hands of a mother make a world for zack,her oldest son,loveingly and tenderly and tirelessly.

They are the most beautiful hands I've ever seen.

Shall we pray....................

Donna

1:36 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love you Zack!!! your my fave person ever! im praying for you all the time

1:37 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Hornback Family,
I am a graduate of Christian Academy of Lousiville, when I first heard of Zach's accident I knew that CAL would be changed by this. I have been keeping up with the updates and God truly is amzaing.
I am in continual prayer for Zach and his family. All I can say is that you are not alone, God is with you, and there are people who understand what you are going through, the pain will be over soon.
Keep up the good work Zach, you are almost there!
In Christ,
Jessica Martin

10:22 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are continually praying for Zack and all of the family. The updates on this site are so wonderful because we know God is working through Zack to touch so many lives. I have been able to share this site with many people at work and what a testimony it is for all. Kyle's sermon today in church was on suffering and he stressed that many times we don't or won't know the " why's " until we are with our heavenly father, but God knows all the hurts we are enduring and will sustain us if we just trust him.

12:26 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a note to say I read Donna's message posted here and I was so moved. A mother's hands.....how appropriate. Eileen is in the fight of her life, for the welfare of her son. She is having to be his advocate. I witnessed this when my nephew sustained a brain injury, again, out doing what he wasn't supposed to. My nephew, God rest his soul, did not ever fully recover, but HIS mother kept him at home and cared for him for over nine years, waking every two hours to move him so he would not sustain bedsores at night. As a mother, she felt it was her privilege to take care of her child. My hat is off to both of you. I pray that you have the strength and faith to know that you are doing our Father's work, embellished with the love of a Mother. God Bless you Eileen!

2:02 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zack and your family are in my prayers and i wish the best for u all!! take care

3:09 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's really good to hear that Zack is doing well!! I will continue to pray for him each and every day! God Bless and I know that God is watching over zack and the whole family. sincerely Jerica

12:19 AM

 
Blogger oakleyses said...

longchamp outlet, replica watches, nike air max, oakley sunglasses, christian louboutin uk, ray ban sunglasses, nike free, longchamp pas cher, cheap oakley sunglasses, tiffany and co, jordan shoes, nike air max, christian louboutin, louboutin pas cher, ray ban sunglasses, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses wholesale, polo outlet, kate spade outlet, longchamp outlet, longchamp outlet, michael kors pas cher, prada outlet, gucci handbags, ugg boots, christian louboutin outlet, louis vuitton outlet, louis vuitton, chanel handbags, nike roshe, jordan pas cher, nike free run, air max, louis vuitton outlet, tory burch outlet, oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, sac longchamp pas cher, louis vuitton, tiffany jewelry, nike outlet, christian louboutin shoes, polo ralph lauren, louis vuitton outlet, ugg boots, replica watches, uggs on sale

11:44 PM

 
Blogger oakleyses said...

nike free uk, ray ban pas cher, guess pas cher, kate spade, ray ban uk, nike roshe run uk, new balance, abercrombie and fitch uk, michael kors outlet online, north face, uggs outlet, replica handbags, michael kors outlet online, coach purses, burberry outlet, hogan outlet, uggs outlet, michael kors outlet, vans pas cher, true religion outlet, michael kors outlet, nike blazer pas cher, hollister uk, michael kors, sac hermes, polo lacoste, nike tn, true religion outlet, converse pas cher, michael kors outlet online, hollister pas cher, sac vanessa bruno, michael kors outlet online, nike air force, true religion outlet, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, burberry handbags, coach outlet store online, nike air max, michael kors, oakley pas cher, lululemon canada, nike air max uk, nike air max uk, coach outlet, north face uk, mulberry uk

11:47 PM

 
Blogger oakleyses said...

canada goose outlet, canada goose, swarovski crystal, canada goose, canada goose, karen millen uk, ray ban, coach outlet, wedding dresses, moncler, louis vuitton, moncler outlet, swarovski, moncler, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, juicy couture outlet, moncler, marc jacobs, barbour, gucci, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, toms shoes, links of london, supra shoes, pandora charms, doudoune moncler, hollister, canada goose outlet, ugg, converse, replica watches, pandora jewelry, pandora uk, ugg uk, barbour uk, moncler uk, moncler outlet, hollister, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, canada goose outlet, ugg pas cher, montre pas cher, louis vuitton, moncler, juicy couture outlet, louis vuitton, vans, canada goose uk, thomas sabo, canada goose jackets, nike air max, converse outlet

11:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home