Thursday, July 28, 2005

Wednesday July 27, 2005

Wednesday July 27, 2005 I was late arriving at the hospital today because I had to pack some clothes for Zack to go to Frazier. He had no fever but is white blood count was 12.8 (slightly elevated). Zack had his legs crossed, which was so good to see. He had both hands fingering his Trach. He was really “storming” (profusely sweating) which iscommon with all critically brain injured patients. I watched as he would reach his left hand up to touch his face. It is almost as though he is trying to figure out who he is. Dr Raff with I.D. comes by to check his white count. Again he is not alarmed. He looks at Zack and says, “Go to rehab”. Dr Apfel (Anest.) makes rounds with his residents and says Zack’s lungs sound great. I had told him about this site and he asked again for the address. Don’t be surprised if we see some postings by the doctors and nurses that took care of him at University Hospital. We anxiously wait for the ambulance that will take us to Frazier. Karen (physical therapist) comes to say good-bye and promises to visit. Our chariot arrives at 12:30 for the short ride to Frazier. We get settled into our room, which has a bed for me and it’s own bathroom (just like the Ritz Carlton). I meet Courtney our day nurse and they weigh Zack. He has lost over ten pounds, down to 139 lbs. Dr Miller comes in for a quick evaluation. He is a physiatrist (physical medicine) resident and very nice guy. Remember we also had a Dr. Miller at University (anest. resident) who we really liked. Both of their first names are Jason and they went to medical school together. Dr. Stevens (Attending Physiatrist) comes in to check Zack out for Dr Mook who was off today. He explains that they may use Trazodone, a drug for anxiety or to help him sleep, if he needs it. They do not believe in a lot of medication. At 5:00 his physical therapist, Amy Raque and aid Russell help Zack to sit on the side of his bed. They try to get him to hold his head up while they support his body. This simple task seems like a lot of work for him. When they get him back to bed he is exhausted, but soon that hand goes up to feel his face again. He touches his eyebrows and feels his lips. He is also moving his legs a lot. After lying still for so long we are thrilled to see him moving again. His fine motor skills are intact and he uses to tips of his fingers to find some tube to pull on. He still is handsome and the nurses fuss over him.H Everyone here is so nice. I was afraid to leave the nurses in ICU and had grown fond of many of our doctors at University but this place already feels like home. They know what they are doing but they are gentle and explain everything to me. They brought us dinner and we are encouraged to ask if we need anything. Zack had several visitors, both friends and family. Rita and Louie (Scott’s Mom & Dad) brought Kyle and Logan to see him. Kyle puts the gloves on and holds Zack’s hand. She is not turned off by anything and strokes his arm with compassion. Logan gets overwhelmed, sits on my lap and begins to cry. We take a walk down the hall and I promise her Zack will get well. I am confident that he will. God has a plan that is better than anything I can dream up. Kendal (night nurse) sees Logan crying and offers her ice cream. She also gives her some paper and markers to make Zack a picture for his room. Sometimes I forget how hard this is on Zack’s brother and sisters. Many people have taken them places and sometimes it seems like a big slumber party but….they worry about their brother. When visiting hours are over I am able to settle in with Zack. I will spend the night for a while praying that he wakes up while I am here. Kendal comes in to check his I.V. She asks Zack if he is O.K. He nods his head and mouths yes!!! My back was turned and I was on the phone with Scott. She asked me if he has been nodding when we ask him questions. She tries to get him to do it again but he had already answered that question. She writes it in his chart for the doctor and we are ecstatic. We know it will be tough ahead. He will go through phases of recovery that won’t be pleasant. He won’t seem like the Zack we knew but he will be a new creation that God will use for his glory. It dawns on me that the “storming” he does is the furnace God is using to mold him into His servant. I can’t wait to meet him!

25 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you so much for posting this website i did not know zack but some friends did and i enjoy reading and knowing how he is doing. your family has been so strong and makes me relize if you just believe then everything will end up ok.. god bless your family!

11:59 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tHaT iS sO AmAzInG!!! wE aRe PrOuD oF yOu ZaCk!!


lUv aLwAyS

mEg,SHeL,aNd CaTe

12:39 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted everyone to know that I don't know Zack but friends of mine do and I want you guys to know that not only me but my family prays for him and truely I`m soo proud of how he is doing keep it up !! cause alot of people love you zack!!

3:06 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a sophmore at duPont Manual, and I have never actually met Zack, but after the accident word spread pretty quickly amongst my friends about the extent of his injuries. Pretty soon I got a hold of this webpage and I have been reading up everyday about him. I always look forward to seeing new posts about his recovery and the strength that your family has shown has had a huge impact on me. I pray for Zack every night and I only hope I can meet your family someday and tell you all of this in person, face to face. The fact that you took time out of your life to write these blogs just further shows your unbelievable concern for other's well-being. I'll continue to pray for him and for your family with all my heart. <3

4:16 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott, Eileen, Dylan, Kyle, and Logan,
I have been at loss for words since I heard of Zack's accident. You have become a very special family to me through babysitting over the summers. I know that through the strength of your family and God that Zack is going to be ok. I pray for him everyday along with telling my friends who know of him and his brother and sisters from my stories (from the summers) about what has happened. I think that the message of drinking and driving really hits them when it becomes so close, I know that it really has been an eye opener for me. Zack is an amazing kid, and he became a great buddy as well. I look forward to late nights babysitting watching TV with him soon. My thoughts and prayers are with you all and if you need anything at all please don’t hesitate. I hope to visit Zack soon.
Love,
Jasmine Marks better know to zack as (Janet)

4:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mr. n mrs. hornback,
im soo excited to hear about zack. i went to chicago tuesday n wednesday but i saw zack early tuesday rite before i left. he looked and me like hu knu who i was. i can not wait til he is completely awake. i know zack will fully recover. i have so much faith in him.

continually praying,
tAylor--liL siS

5:24 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was really wierd not having Zach in room 4 today. I kept looking for all of the Hornbacks. I am so glad that the transition went well. I promise to come visit after my vacation and will keep tabs on Zach via the web site. God Bless all of you. Karen (PT)

7:35 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

im so happy to hear zack is doing well at frazier. i miss that kid so much and i cant wait til he comes back to us!

8:29 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

zack ::

you are amazing. i cant even find words to describe how much you mean to all of us (your friends) && how we cant even wait until you get well... you are one of the strongest people that i know && most people in the world are lucky if they grow up to be half of the person that you are today. you are amazing && i cant even describe how much i miss you.. cant wait to see you again!! love you zack!!

10:35 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ZACK- you are doing so much better! you are recovering so fast and we are soo proud of you. get better soon so you can come to school with us! lol im sure thats what your looking forward to- we love you and miss you zack!

your in our Prayers <3

ADRIA & BREANNE

11:10 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you can do it zack!-
trust in YOURSELF

11:11 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Hornback Family,
Earlier this afternoon I was driving down Old Lagrange Rd. and found myselfe behind an SUV with several teenagers in it. My heart was touched and felt so full because of the message that was written on the back window, it said "ZACK, WE LOVE YOU!!!" There was no doubt in my mind who Zack was. I'm sure you do not remember me, however, I used to work w/ Mike D. at 121 Main. I remember you bringing Zack in when he was just a small guy. I know you are so proud of the young man your son is and feel that you may enjoy and feel as warmed as I did that there are so many people out there that have been touched by your son and by all of the people that love him. Just wanted you to know what a profound effect it had on me. God Bless You and your beautiful boy.

11:31 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted to comment to say thank you for updating on zacks recovery...i know its hard on everyone close to you and your family but God gives us the strength we need to stay strong and fight through the bad times in our lives. i hope zack continues to recover and that he will be home with you, your family and friends soon.
xO-still praying-Ox

11:50 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't really know Zach. I just met him a few times, but I just want to let you know that I'll be praying for all of you as you are going through this difficult time. God's grace is sufficient for you!
-Andrew

12:33 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

-Through Him all things are possible-

12:55 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just be happy with the zack you get back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!dont fret upon a nnnew glorified wonder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1:02 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Hornback,
You do not know me - I have worked with Houston as his tutor for a couple of years and have come to love the entire family. I have met darling and beautiful Kyle. When Robin told me what had happened, I immediately started praying for Zack and his family and will continue to do so. I will also add Nia and Dr. LaRossa to those prayers. I have not been able to get Zack or all of you off my mind the entire time that I am awake. I know how much Robin and Jeff love all of you and how very hard this is on them also. I am convinced that God has a reason for everything and although we may not know right now, I am sure that you have witnessed the impact all of this has already had on many people's lives. God will be with you and it is such a comfort to those of us out here knowing that your family has such a wonderful faith and trust in Our Lord. My prayers will continue and I will continue to watch God's plan for Zack and your family. God bless your family. He will continue to carry you as long as need be.
Ginger Robertson

10:39 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its so great to hear that Zack is doing so good!! It just makes my day and I hope that he continues to get better!!! God is helping Zack and everyone that cares so much about him. God is not done and I know that God will not rest until Zack is back to normal and I pray everyday for him to have a fast recovery.
I dont know Zack but I feel like I have known him forever.
Zack babe get better!! And God Bless You All!!
always praying!

12:27 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dear hornback family...i am a friend of donna jaha's...i work at candy's room...she was here with me when she found out about zack...so since that day he has been in our thoughts and prayers..i am giving zack's name to add to prayer lists..they are very strong..so keep your heads high and know that you are not alone.....stacey t

3:21 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Zach,
I bet in your wildest dreams that you ever had all these friends. The impact that you have made in so many people's lives is amazing. I have people everyday asking me if I have heard about you and if I know any informaton about you. I am so glad that you are progressing the way you are. God surely has a plan for you. I read where your mom wrote that you have a silent ministry and it is true. I am sure this is not the way you would have ministered to people, but it is the way God has chosen for you to minister. There are so many non-Christians who have heard of your story and how God is working miracles in your life and recovery and they turn to HIM!! and it is all because of you. My hope is that when you do come out of the rehab that you can hold an assembly for the kids at CAL to tell them about the wonderful person that we know as God what He has done in your life and how we must always think about our decisions and the consequences attached to them. I want you to know that my Church family at Bethel Flock Baptist Church prays for you everyday for your recovery. Please come by and see us at the After School Care when you get back. We would love that!!! Bring Dylan, Kyle and Logan too. I send up my prayer for the Healing Angels to continue to surround you everyday. Get well soon!!! Love, Miss Mary YMCA

3:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Hornback Family,

11:04 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Hornback Family,

This website, if you know it or not, is helping so many people realize the effects of drinking and driving. There are so many stories about people drinking and driving, and you just don't think it can happen to anyone you are close to. This is one of the most ispirational stories I have ever heard and Zach is lucky to have parents that are such a great influence to not only him, but all the people who read this website. I have no idea how hard it is how hard it must be to be strong for your son, while in your own heart you are feeling so much questioning and hurt yourself, but i know not anyone could do that. Thanks so much for posting this website and just keep staying strong!!!!

11:08 PM

 
Blogger oakleyses said...

nike free uk, ray ban pas cher, guess pas cher, kate spade, ray ban uk, nike roshe run uk, new balance, abercrombie and fitch uk, michael kors outlet online, north face, uggs outlet, replica handbags, michael kors outlet online, coach purses, burberry outlet, hogan outlet, uggs outlet, michael kors outlet, vans pas cher, true religion outlet, michael kors outlet, nike blazer pas cher, hollister uk, michael kors, sac hermes, polo lacoste, nike tn, true religion outlet, converse pas cher, michael kors outlet online, hollister pas cher, sac vanessa bruno, michael kors outlet online, nike air force, true religion outlet, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, burberry handbags, coach outlet store online, nike air max, michael kors, oakley pas cher, lululemon canada, nike air max uk, nike air max uk, coach outlet, north face uk, mulberry uk

11:47 PM

 
Blogger oakleyses said...

iphone 6s cases, chi flat iron, ipad cases, north face outlet, hollister, ralph lauren, wedding dresses, nike air max, north face outlet, louboutin, baseball bats, insanity workout, iphone 6 plus cases, soccer jerseys, celine handbags, asics running shoes, ferragamo shoes, mcm handbags, valentino shoes, p90x workout, nike roshe run, babyliss, timberland boots, nfl jerseys, iphone cases, lululemon, iphone 5s cases, ghd hair, iphone 6 cases, mont blanc pens, longchamp uk, hollister clothing, beats by dre, reebok outlet, instyler, s6 case, oakley, bottega veneta, hermes belt, soccer shoes, herve leger, jimmy choo outlet, mac cosmetics, abercrombie and fitch, new balance shoes, nike trainers uk, iphone 6s plus cases, nike huaraches

11:49 PM

 
Blogger oakleyses said...

canada goose outlet, canada goose, swarovski crystal, canada goose, canada goose, karen millen uk, ray ban, coach outlet, wedding dresses, moncler, louis vuitton, moncler outlet, swarovski, moncler, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, juicy couture outlet, moncler, marc jacobs, barbour, gucci, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, toms shoes, links of london, supra shoes, pandora charms, doudoune moncler, hollister, canada goose outlet, ugg, converse, replica watches, pandora jewelry, pandora uk, ugg uk, barbour uk, moncler uk, moncler outlet, hollister, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, canada goose outlet, ugg pas cher, montre pas cher, louis vuitton, moncler, juicy couture outlet, louis vuitton, vans, canada goose uk, thomas sabo, canada goose jackets, nike air max, converse outlet

11:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home