Monday, July 25, 2005

Sunday, July 24, 2005

Sunday July 24, 2005 Zack has been fever free for almost 4 days and his white count is back down to 10, which is normal. It looks like we are lickin’ this infection. Dr Han (attending Neuro Surgeon) comes by with Dr Densler and another resident. They discuss the laceration on his head and Dr Han tells me to be sure that Zack has a wound care nurse at Frazier. They decide to leave the staples in his head another week just to be sure that everything is under control with the laceration and no further swelling occurs. It appears as though the swelling is going down so the laceration area seems a bit sunken since there is no scull in that area. We discuss how much longer the bone flap will be off.
They also tell me that his bone flap (scull) that was sent to the blood bank was contaminated. If the cultures they took grow anything his bone flap will be discarded and they will make him a custom-made acrylic bone flap. Dr Apfel (attending Anest) comes with his residents during rounds and discussed that there are no respiratory issues that they are concerned with. We talk about Zack’s accident and the fact that no one in the car was wearing seatbelts. Dr Apfel is from Germany and we have a very interesting discussion. He explains that the U.S. has twice as many car fatalities as Germany and there is only about 2% of the German population that doesn’t wear their seatbelts. He believes that Americans value freedom so much that individual freedom of choice overcomes rational thinking. We choose not to wear our seatbelts as a subconscious assertion of freedom. It is even more prevalent among American teenagers because they are trying to pull away from their parents and have more freedom. Isn’t it sad that the value we hold so dear also causes us such tragedies? At 9:30 Neika (day nurse) moves him to his chair and he supports his head for quite a while. At 10:30 he has physical therapy with the weekend therapist. I leave to go to church and Scott comes to really work him over. He tells me that Zack did 30 crunches with his legs and arms. Don’t get too excited because our idea of crunches has changed in the last 17 days. Zack stayed 5 hours in his chair before they moved him back to bed. He napped for a while and had several visitors. He squeezed Avery and Caroline’s hands. He stuck out his tongue a few times for the staff. He is responding to the verbal commands that he chooses to follow. At 5:30 Dr Miller (Anest resident) removed his Trach stitches. His skin will now hold it in place and the stitches are no longer needed. Zack is at his best (most alert and responsive) at night. Andy and Kelly Raines come by around 10:00 PM. He holds Kelly’s hand tightly and when she tries to pull away he won’t let her. He stares intently into your face. It is almost magical. I am reminded of the thoughts I had driving in early this morning. How God lovingly doles out discipline in perfect amounts. How He knows my greatest fear is that as my children grow up and go off to college they would move away from Him. That they would make choices that lead them to lose their faith. This trial we are going through now will change us. It will make us stronger. It teaches us that when we fear the future God will send us reminders that He is in control. This life is but a whisper in God’s ear. We do not know what he has planned for us only that it will be perfect. My close friend Donna told me tonight that Zack is like a pebble thrown into a lake and you can see the ripples traveling out in all directions. Tonight Zack rest peacefully. We didn’t get our orders to transfer out of ICU in preparation to go to Frazier but it’s O.K. (there wasn’t an empty bed for him to move to any way). God has a reason for keeping us here one extra day and I can’t wait for tomorrow to find out why.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eileen, I'm trying this again. I read almost daily the updates you post. and I have tried to leave comments and had them erased when I tried signing up for the user name etc. This time I hope it works. Our family has been praying for yours since this tradgedy occured and I continue to update the teachers at the Wed. morning Bible study some of us are doing at school with the updates you post. Zack has been in all our prayers at school too. Continue the strong fight for Zack! We'll keep praying. Love to you all. Kelly Jordan

4:43 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are still praying for you in South Carolina. God is good all the time! Romans 8:28

5:49 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

zack
your strength through this has really been a lesson to all of us! we are behind you, EVERY STEP OF THE WAY! dont forget that buddy! i love you and God bless
Lindsay Densmore

6:18 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...God is truly working miracles in Zach's and also your life. I am so glad that he is doing so much better. Also i am so proud of you for trusting in God through all of this. It can be very rough sometimes but in the end we do see what God was looking for throughout all this. Hopefully in ten years you and Zach and your family will look at this and just remember in awe all that God did for you. Keep trusting and keep it up Zach!!!

6:59 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a friend of your sister Karen, from VA, and have been following Zack's progress.. My thoughts and prayers are with you all. It sure sounds like he is improving and the signs are so good.

A similar procedure was done on a friend of mine, and she is doing well still, several months after her skull has been attached. Amazing what they do now, and thank God for that. It surely sounds like he is on the right track.

debi

9:38 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love u zack!! i know u can do it bro! cant wait to see u.

always praying,
taYloR

10:04 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Hornback Family,
We are the Clements family. We go to Southeast and CAL. AJ played on a 4/5 basketball team with Dylan and football team last year.Since hearing about Zack's accident I have been checking this site daily,updating my family and friends. I feel like I am on this journey with you.I see God's fingerprints everywhere. We are praying for healing and for God's love and peace to surround your family.I wanted to send you this scripture and I hope it brings you comfort:
"The Lord your God is with you,
he is mighty to save.
He will take great delight in you,
he will quiet you with his love,
he will rejoice over you with singing."
Zephaniah 3:15
Many prayers are being said for your family.
Paulette Clements

10:16 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mrs. Hornback i really enjoyed the time i spent at the hospital with you today, i wish i could spend more time but i wanted to let you know i am goin to do what i can to get this out to everyone in my power i want as many people possible to pray and many kids to learn from Zach's story. if you can give these websites to Mrs. Donna www.reminderband.net and www.promobrands.com dont forget not to hesitate to call for babysitting or help with fundraisers anything im here when you need me! Love you all!

12:08 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. The last message was from Lynn i forgot to put my name with it!

12:09 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just had to let you know how incredibly strong you are to be doing this for us. I don't think I would have the strength if it was me, but you are touching so many lives by doing so! I haven't gotten the chance until tonight to read any of the entries, and found once I read one, I had to read them all. (which took a while!) lol I only knew zack briefly, but long enough to know how that he has a good heart. He is strong and will pull through this! You all are in my prayers...God Bless

3:31 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott and Eileen,
I have thought about your family everyday since Kelly told me about Zach. I am overjoyed to read of his progress. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers everyday. Please do not hesitate to call if you need anything at all. Tina Revak 817-0409

12:43 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

everyday i read this blog and hope for good news. i can feel that tomorrow will bring good things. i hope everyhting works out with frazier and i want zack to know we are all thinking about him. i cant get through with out knowing hes going to be ok. i pray for your family all the time. i have finally realized that my old lifestyle wasnt the one that is a Christ-like way thanks to this story. i miss zack terribly and i love you all for doing this blog. thank you so much, congratulations, and good luck with the day that comes. i love you zack n i miss you
keep praying

1:36 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am always and continuously praying for Zack and your family..our families have gotten so close this yr. through baseball n school. I am here for anything that you need.. and i mean anything at all!call me if you need a babysiter..i would be MORE than happy to help!

Lots of love,
Shali Sellers

1:44 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey im Heather...i saw this site on a prayer card at my church Shively CC and i thought id just tell you that i have been praying for your son. Ive seen a few other comments from people at my church and they have been praying hard too. God does amazing things.
-Heather S

2:14 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hornback family,
I, as well as all of my family and friends, check this site alot to see how zack is doing. Eventhough i met zack the night of the accident i still feel as if hes been my friend for years. this is no doubt the worst experience thats happened to me. not only is my arm broken and i have scars but other people were hurt, especially zack. i cant even think of zack and his condition without crying. i have pictures of him in my room too. if only i could go back to that night and have made everyone get out of the car before the wreck. but since i cant, all i can do is hope and pray that everything turns out okay. i will be back up to visit zack soon.
thinking about you,
Jamie Kerr

7:06 PM

 

<< Home