Thursday, August 25, 2005

Thursday August 25, 2005

Thursday August 25, 2005 Zack was up early this morning and had breakfast before I arrived. Dr. Miller came by and looked at his head wound, which is healing nicely. He also discussed waiting until next week before we move him out of his tent bed and into a lowboy (which can be set only 6” off the floor). We are very afraid that he will get out of bed in the middle of the night and fall without his helmet on. It was almost 9:00 so I had to drag Zack out of bed so he would be ready for speech. When he got up and walked towards the closet to pick out clothes he had another “attack”. He stopped and I had to support him. He had a blank look in his eyes like he wasn’t there for about 3 seconds. Dr. Mook came in and said he would order an EEG to rule out seizures (It still may be difficult to tell unless he has a seizure during the test). It was 5 after 9:00 and we were ready for Kathy when our schedule arrived with changes. Apparently we weren’t going to speech until 11:30 and Zack was not happy about it. He got very upset and we walked the halls because “we have to find somewhere to go”. He keeps trying to go down the elevator to go to therapy and when I stop him he yells, “You’re pissing me off”! He does not like his schedule being changed. He was mad but expressing himself very well. When we got back to his room he told me “get on the bench and call somebody”. He wants me to fix it if I am going to stay on his team, otherwise I can get off the bench. In P.T./O.T. Amy and Mary Beth had him working out doing sit ups, crunches and exercising his right arm by pushing a weight up a small platform while receiving E-stem (electric stimulation). Donna found our missing camera in the back of someone else’s wheelchair. We have been looking for it since last week so now we can get those pictures developed. 11:30 In speech I think Zack was still mad at the time being changed because Kathy asked him basic questions, day, date why you are here, who am I and he couldn’t answer any of them. She showed him a piece of paper with random numbers and letters and asked him to find a particular one. He got 90% of them right. When she switched to words, showing him 3 at a time, he only got about 60% of them.
Mary Beth (O.T.) came to have lunch with us again today to work with Zack on personal skills. We love having her for lunch because she is so good with Zack. She also told us how serious re-injury would be and how common it is, particularly in teenage boys. She explained that when Zack comes home his friends are going to want to take him out but it can’t happen. For some time either Scott or I will have to be with him when he goes out because he does not have the filter to stop him from saying something that could get him in trouble. He may be standing in line with his friend to get ice cream and some big guy is ordering a banana split. Everyone may be thinking “this guy doesn’t need to be eating” but they would never say it to his face. Unfortunately Zack might and then the guy could punch him. Re-injury! His friends could want to take him bowling but there are people smoking there and 2nd hand smoke causes seizures in people with traumatic brain injuries. Zack may wear his friends down and convince them it would be O.K. Re-injury! Once you have had one brain injury a 2nd one can be devastating so we can’t take chances. We can’t let his friends have that responsibility. We have to be careful where he goes and protect him from potentially dangerous situations because he will not make good decisions for a while. 1:30 Speech with Kathy and Zack is asked to finish the end of a sentence (Put the pie in the _____________). She would also give him 2 tasks to do at the same time (touch your nose and pat your head). Two days ago he got 50% but today he accomplished all of them. The afternoon P.T. session with Amy was difficult. He had to get on his knees on a mat and touch targets in Amy’s hands that she moved around. He got very frustrated and hit a pillow with his fist. She had him lie on a large skateboard and pull himself around with his arms. It was hard work and he was very tired. In O.T. Mary Beth had him walk like a spider on his hands and feet belly down and then turn around and do it belly up. Very difficult and I’m not sure how well I could have done it. Zack got tired and he complained but he would stop. He is so determined and strong. I think he really understands that we are here for therapy and that’s what makes him better. Back in his room he was resting in his recliner. He decided to get up and again had another “attack”. I thought we had these figured out and giving him plenty of fluids would solve the problem but here they are again. Several of his friends came to visit and when it was time for them to leave he wanted to go with them. We told them they had to go do homework to make it not so appealing. I need to remind his friends when it’s time to leave not to discuss where they might be going since Zack is very aware of what he cannot do now. He is progressing at such a rapid pace that the rules change all the time. Some of the rules I have not enforced but now I will have to. We need to keep it to 2 or 3 visitors at a time. He can get over stimulated, which could aggravate his depression. If you come as a group please be aware that some of you may have to wait in the conference room (there is a wide screen TV there). Please be sensitive that when you have been visiting for a while and others come that you should end your visit. He loves to see his friends and it is good therapy as long as we don’t overwhelm him. 10:00 PM Zack has been sleeping for about an hour so when he wakes up Kelly (night nurse) wants to weigh him and he needs to go to the bathroom. As we walk that way he has another attack but this time I have Kelly and Erin (aide) to witness it. Kelly says it looks like he was having a focal seizure. We sit him down and he says something about his vision. He says he sees 2 of me. I hold up 1 finger he says he sees 2. He closes one eye and I hold up 1 finger and he sees only 1. He is seeing double at times, just as Mary Beth has suspected since the first week here (I told you I liked her). Kelly wrote it in the report and we will be sure to talk to Dr Mook about it in the morning. Please pray for wisdom that the doctors can figure out what is causing these “attacks”. Pray that discussions about the accident will be productive (he is starting to ask questions and making comments...”how bad was it?”). Pray that he will understand and embrace God’s promise in Romans 8:28- “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” And always pray for complete recovery in order to glorify God!

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott & Eileen -

Was reading through Psalms and came across a passage that made me think of Zack. God Bless Zack...Our Lord chose him for a very special purpose.

O Lord, you alone are my hope. I've trusted you from my childhood. Yes, you have been with me from birth; from my mother's womb you cared for me. No wonder I am always praising you! My life is an example to many, because you have been my strength and my protection. That is why I can never stop prasing you; I declare your glory all day long.
Psalm 71:5-8

Love and God Bless,

Tom & Julie

12:26 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SEE!!! ...I told you that camera would show up somewhere! Please tell Zack that I'm coming to see him tomorrow when I get home from UK. And I kept my promise...I have a note left on my dry erase board on my door to pray for Zack and this website is on there if they want to know more about it. My RA (floor leader) came up to me tonight and asked me about Zack and she said that she is keeping him in her prayers. I think everyday, there is at least one new person that adds Zack to their prayer list. That just simply amazes me! : ) Can't wait to see how you're doin Zack! ...See you all tomorrow!
*Jennifer Litsey*

1:40 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i will definitely have zach in my prayers this weekend as well as the family and though things seem difficult right now, KNOW that GOD has the plan and will provide the answers through the staff. hold onto the faith...it will move you thru. love, jules

9:17 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eileen,
We continue to pray for Zack and your family as we have felt the power of prayer and have seen the Lord answer with our Rachael and her recovery. I have been silent concerning making suggestions that worked for Rachael but after reading today I felt lead to share a few ideas. Rachael was considered a female Houdini at Shepherd Center Hospital. She even managed to escape and roll a wheelchair down a set of stairs that was behind a alarm secured exit door. She could get out of just about everything except a posy belt in her bed. The belt does not restrict their arms or legs just their trunk of their body. It is looped around the frame of the bed and mattress and then looped around the patient and is secured with a locking buckle that uses a key. Some hospitals may not use them, but with brain injured patients we experienced the benefits. We used it even when she was in the wheelchair. We also had a safety gait belt that she wore around her waist anytime she was out of bed that when walking with her you can hold on to behind her back for when she would fall. It was the one thing you could count on to grab and support her when falling. I would at least ask about them if they are available. It definitely is a better alternative to a second injury. Zack will not like it but you will sleep better. I have another concern with going to the lower bed and Zack getting up from so low and causing more spells. At Shepherd several of the patients who experienced double vision wore a patch over one eye until the vision cleared up. I stayed 2 months full time with Rachael at Shepherd and like Steve stayed in a Holiday Inn Express and thus feel like I am a expert. Our hearts and prayers go out to you and I read your daily updates and am reminded by every step you describe that we experienced this past year too. The encouraging part is our Rachael has come so far and Zack seems to be progressing very similarly to Rachael. Pace yourself it is a long but rewarding path you are on and God is with you. It is not necessary for you to post this as it is meant for you to use or not.
Believers in Christ Healing Powers,
Jack Marchette
Florence, SC

9:29 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eileen and Scott,
I am proud of you for the way you are working with Zack's friends. He is obviously loved so much by them and they want to help you and stay in contact daily. I applaud them for that especially now that school is back in session. God is really working in their lives and they are truly Godly witnesses to everyone.

I can appreciate your concerns about the future and any re-injury that could occur. I pray Zack's friends will honor that and continue to make good choices and guard their words where Zack is concerned. I pray you will stay strong, and God will give you, the therapists and doctors great wisdom and descernment in the days and weeks to come.

Always Praying!

10:07 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr and Mrs Hornback,
I wanted to apoligize for not being able to come and see Zack as I had planned on doing from the start. My schedule at the YMCA is a busy one and sometimes I don't have time for myself. I have been reading everyday about Zack and pray everyday. Dylan and the girls keep me updated daily as well. God really is in control!!!! I love to hear the news that Mr. Hornback tells me because each time it is with a smile. You all have a very special place in my heart and I can't wait to be able to come and visit.
Miss Mary YMCA

1:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEY,
I'm so glad that zack has improved so much you really can tell a difference in his behavior everyday! my family and I are praying for you and your family all the time!

3:45 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just started college this week at UofL. I always thought it would be intimidating to be a freshman again, but somehow it's been so easy to remain confident. I wear Zack's picture button on my backpack purse and it's amazing what conversations arise out of it. First it's the girls that notice what a handsome boy he is and ask if he's my boyfriend! To this I get the opportunity to tell Zack's story and by the end of it, I'm inviting them to the camous Bible studies on Thursday nights. All the kids in my math class, English class, and gen ed (a freshman orientation course) know about Zack, and it's amazing the doors it's opened for me to share Christ with them. A few kids I have never seen come up to me and ask me about Zack. I can't imagine ever getting tired of telling people of this incredible God that is constantly healing my friend and taking care of everything else in the process. Let's just say that Zack has made quite an impression on campus...and the amazing thing is, he's never even been there.
Kellie Raines

4:53 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr and Mrs Hornback,
I am a CAL student in the 8th grade and am just learning about this site. I have been praying for zack ever since i saw "Pray for Zack" on everybody's aim profile.
I just wanted to let you know that everybody in the 8th grade is praying for zack and for his family. He is in our daily devotion and prayer at school. I know i have learned a lesson from Zack's incident about listening to my parents and obeying what they say, because they know whats best for me. I'm keeping you in my prayers and you are always on my mind. God Bless you.

9:25 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!
Eileen and Scott,
If you guys were in need of an uplift, or just a little something to get you through a hard day, or a depressing moment...those last 2 comments will do it!
Know that you are doing HIS work, you are glorifying HIM by sharing your faith, and you are such beautiful, strong, faithful parents - even when you might not feel too strong that day.
Much love and prayers for Zach and your family.

10:39 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I don't get the opportunity to read this post for a couple of days I constantly pray and and can't wait to find out what is happening. Then when reading it I see how much things change every day, he has come so far!! I am still totally amazed by your strength, and I pray for your continued strength and understanding. I know Zack and you all can handle what ever is in store because the Lord will carry you through!!

10:46 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As everyday, the prayers are sent your way! Keep strong Zack. God loves you and wants you to heal. His powers are truly amazing!!

11:28 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOVE YOU HORNBACKS. IT IS GOOD TO SEE THAT Y FRIENDS KELLIE RAINES AND OLIVIA DEVRIES ARE PRAYING TO THESE TWO LADIES ARE A FEW OF THE MOST AMAZING PRAYER WARRIORS I HAVE EVER MET!!! LOVEYOU ALL HORNBACKS!!

7:01 PM

 
Blogger oakleyses said...

longchamp outlet, replica watches, nike air max, oakley sunglasses, christian louboutin uk, ray ban sunglasses, nike free, longchamp pas cher, cheap oakley sunglasses, tiffany and co, jordan shoes, nike air max, christian louboutin, louboutin pas cher, ray ban sunglasses, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses wholesale, polo outlet, kate spade outlet, longchamp outlet, longchamp outlet, michael kors pas cher, prada outlet, gucci handbags, ugg boots, christian louboutin outlet, louis vuitton outlet, louis vuitton, chanel handbags, nike roshe, jordan pas cher, nike free run, air max, louis vuitton outlet, tory burch outlet, oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, sac longchamp pas cher, louis vuitton, tiffany jewelry, nike outlet, christian louboutin shoes, polo ralph lauren, louis vuitton outlet, ugg boots, replica watches, uggs on sale

11:45 PM

 
Blogger oakleyses said...

nike free uk, ray ban pas cher, guess pas cher, kate spade, ray ban uk, nike roshe run uk, new balance, abercrombie and fitch uk, michael kors outlet online, north face, uggs outlet, replica handbags, michael kors outlet online, coach purses, burberry outlet, hogan outlet, uggs outlet, michael kors outlet, vans pas cher, true religion outlet, michael kors outlet, nike blazer pas cher, hollister uk, michael kors, sac hermes, polo lacoste, nike tn, true religion outlet, converse pas cher, michael kors outlet online, hollister pas cher, sac vanessa bruno, michael kors outlet online, nike air force, true religion outlet, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, burberry handbags, coach outlet store online, nike air max, michael kors, oakley pas cher, lululemon canada, nike air max uk, nike air max uk, coach outlet, north face uk, mulberry uk

11:47 PM

 
Blogger oakleyses said...

iphone 6s cases, chi flat iron, ipad cases, north face outlet, hollister, ralph lauren, wedding dresses, nike air max, north face outlet, louboutin, baseball bats, insanity workout, iphone 6 plus cases, soccer jerseys, celine handbags, asics running shoes, ferragamo shoes, mcm handbags, valentino shoes, p90x workout, nike roshe run, babyliss, timberland boots, nfl jerseys, iphone cases, lululemon, iphone 5s cases, ghd hair, iphone 6 cases, mont blanc pens, longchamp uk, hollister clothing, beats by dre, reebok outlet, instyler, s6 case, oakley, bottega veneta, hermes belt, soccer shoes, herve leger, jimmy choo outlet, mac cosmetics, abercrombie and fitch, new balance shoes, nike trainers uk, iphone 6s plus cases, nike huaraches

11:50 PM

 
Blogger oakleyses said...

canada goose outlet, canada goose, swarovski crystal, canada goose, canada goose, karen millen uk, ray ban, coach outlet, wedding dresses, moncler, louis vuitton, moncler outlet, swarovski, moncler, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, juicy couture outlet, moncler, marc jacobs, barbour, gucci, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, toms shoes, links of london, supra shoes, pandora charms, doudoune moncler, hollister, canada goose outlet, ugg, converse, replica watches, pandora jewelry, pandora uk, ugg uk, barbour uk, moncler uk, moncler outlet, hollister, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, canada goose outlet, ugg pas cher, montre pas cher, louis vuitton, moncler, juicy couture outlet, louis vuitton, vans, canada goose uk, thomas sabo, canada goose jackets, nike air max, converse outlet

11:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home