Monday, October 02, 2006

Saturday September 30, 2006

Saturday September 30, 2006 I’m sorry it’s been so long since I’ve posted but I now have to fight for computer time with Zack, Dylan and Kyle now that they are back in school. Zack is doing well in school because he works very hard. He gets help in a directed study hall and also is tutored by Carol Britton. He spends most nights typing his notes and studying. His teachers are very supportive and all of them are willing to give him the extra help he needs to be successful. I am impressed with his self motivation and determination to study. We don’t get to play cards as much anymore but I still get to interact a lot with him (only now it’s drilling him for test and reading over his papers).
We celebrated his 17th birthday with a surprise. The Junior Retreat was on the Friday of his birthday and I was a chaperone. Since we were going to Camp Piamingo where they would be completing various obstacle courses the school thought it would be best if I was there to supervise Zack and insure his safety. We arrived early at school and I met the other parents and teachers who were chaperoning. They gave us the lists of kids in our group and instructions for the day. Zack had already found his friends and boarded the bus. As I walked down the sidewalk towards my car I searched the windows for familiar faces. It was bitter sweet. I was so glad that Zack was making new friends in this class and blessed that he was even able to be here, but I really didn’t know many of these students. I couldn’t help thinking about the Senior class, the kids Zack grew up with, the ones that visited him every day at Frazier Rehab and went with us to Nashville for the Toby Mac concert. I looked at my list of kids again and other than Zack I only knew Addison and Chelsea. I had to admit I was nervous. I wanted them to like me so they would like Zack. By lunch time I had bonded with all the girls while I taught them to play Golf, our favorite card game. It turned out to be a beautiful day and everyone seemed to have a good time. The best part for me was when it was time for me to head back to school the girls ran to give me hugs and tell me how much fun I was. I had to beat the bus back to school so I could pick up Zack’s birthday present. When his bus pulled up we had his car, with a big bow on top, sitting in front of the flag pole. He was very surprised and excited, and his friends congratulated him while we took pictures. Of course we had to go for a test drive and since he only had his permit I got to enjoy his celebration. Last Tuesday he got his drivers license and Wednesday he drove his car to school for the first time. Now I have new worries. He drove to church Wednesday night and of course a storm arrives. As we are leaving church the sky is lit up with lightning and Dylan reminds me that Zack will be driving home in the rain. I call him while he is at Taco Bell and he tells me he has to take a friend home in Owl Creek, the opposite way from our house. I warn him to be careful and hurry home to wait. Scott is less patient and after only ten minutes he leaves to drive down Shelbyville Road, looking for Zack. Just a few minutes after Scott leaves, Zack arrives home, safe and sound. He tells me it’s kind of cool driving in the rain because you have to drive slow and really pay attention. He laughs at his Dad driving around in the rain and heads off to do his homework. I call Scott and tell him Zack is home and we decide this will be the first of many nights we will worry about him driving. I know every parent of a teenager has felt the same way but it doesn’t ease our mind to know we are in good company.
This past weekend Scott and Zack attended Promise Keepers at the Fairgrounds. Zack went forward and recommitted himself to following God’s leading in his life. They came home and told me (with tears in their eyes) what an amazing first night they shared. The next day they were there again and on the first break Zack called me to apologize for any time he might have disrespected me or hurt my feelings. He said he loved me and was going to try to be a better person. That night he told me that he wished he could go to Promise Keepers every weekend because it was such a powerful experience and he felt so close to God. The next day was my family reunion and Zack brought his girlfriend Rachel. Rachel is good friends with Michele Jaha, my friend Donna’s daughter (Donna stayed with Zack at Frazier Rehab when I had to go back to work). I have known Rachel for several years and she and Zack started out as friends. We love Rachel. She is a Christian and goes to church with Zack. She also closely followed his progress through his recovery, posted on this site and knows exactly what Zack (and our family) have been through. She understands when Zack says something inappropriate (he is still developing the gate that prevents him from saying exactly what he is thinking) and is aware of his aphasia (they laugh together when he chooses the wrong word for something). It is reassuring that she appreciates why we may seem a little over protective (after all he is 17) and she is comfortable just hanging out with our family. They had a good time together at the reunion and my family was delighted to see Zack. Most of my cousins had not seen Zack since the accident and were amazed at his recovery. God is so good! He continues to bless us with milestones we thought we would never have with Zack.
We may cringe as he pulls out of the driveway but, despite his blind spot, he is driving.
I may struggle to remember English and History facts in order to help Zack with his homework but, against all odds, he is back in school. He is as handsome as he ever was but now the beauty is also on the inside…he is not ashamed to tell you how much God has done for him. We have so much to look forward to but we still try to stay focused on the very near future. I pray that our experience will be a testimony to the power of prayer and the faithfulness of our Lord. While no one can pretend the past didn’t happen, it’s possible to pray that all the effects of it are removed. God says we are to cry out for deliverance, walk in His ways, proclaim His truth, and then we will find freedom from our past. We continue to pray for complete recovery but we accept that God’s healing will be complete in His time.
I am speaking to students again through FCA and will have a large audience at Shelby County High School. Pray that our message will be well received, that the students will recognize the how their choices can impact them for the rest of their lives and how God is always there to rescue them.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for continuing to update us on Zacks progress. I'm so glad things are going well for him and I pray that they continue to.

8:07 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh zack is such a wonderful guy. i just love him to death. i saw him at school today with his robe on and i just smiled. he is so sweet and he is always helping someone in the hall who dropped their books or cant open their locker. it is so wonderful to see his example to all of us. he is the nicest guy ever!! glad he is still doing wonderfully. all of us at CAL and Southeast love him to death. hope to see you al again soon. see you at school zack and dylan!!

savannah linscott <3

5:09 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update i am so glad Zack is doing so great will you please post some updated pictures. I would love to see him in his new car and with his girlfriend. lol

Vicky Wolfe

8:52 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is so sad that the updates have ended. I will miss this site, but since it has been over a month, I assume you are done keeping us informed as to Zack's progress. Time to delete from my favorites.
:(

8:38 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for all your updates on Zack, but since there has not been any since Sept. guess you have decided to end the updates. I will really miss these. Hope and pray Zack and all the family are doing well.

7:19 PM

 
Blogger منوعات نور nour said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3:06 AM

 
Blogger منوعات نور nour said...

شركة تنظيف منازل بالرياض
شركة نقل عفش بالدمام
شركة مكافحه الحشرات ورش مبيدات بالدمام
شركة نقل اثاث بالدمام
كشف تسربات المياه بالدمام

2:12 PM

 
Blogger Rashid Awan said...

I also found, your posts very interesting. In fact after reading, Its really Great HelpFull Thanks
Linkdin

7:32 AM

 
Blogger Jesus Andrus said...

Give your furry friend the gift of comfort with this super soft Vintage Motorcycle Helmet "Visual" for dogs and cats.
Our beds feature a round design, creating a cozy and protective atmosphere.
Pets will feel surrounded by love and warmth, allowing them to experience truly restful sleep.
The bolstered edge also acts as a headrest, offering additional orthopedic support.

6:49 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Give your furry friend the gift of comfort with this super soft Vintage Motorcycle Helmet "4networking" for dogs and cats.
Our beds feature a round design, creating a cozy and protective atmosphere.
Pets will feel surrounded by love and warmth, allowing them to experience truly restful sleep.
The bolstered edge also acts as a headrest, offering additional orthopedic support.

5:58 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home