Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Wednesday April 12, 2006

Wednesday April 12, 2006 We had a great time on Spring Break in Hilton Head. Scott’s parents own a condo there and we have been going to Hilton Head for many years. Scott and Zack have played a lot of the golf courses but prior to our trip Zack said he didn’t remember playing golf with his Dad and didn’t remember the ocean. Once we got there and took a walk on the beach many memories of Hilton Head came flooding back to him. He remembered the year that Kyle cut her foot on a shell the first day and we had to go to the emergency room for stitches. He also remembered golfing with his Dad once they got on the green. We are finding now that all he needs to retrieve some of those lost long term memories is to return to the place where they happened. Of course the Exelon medication could be a contributing factor as well as time. When we first arrived in Hilton Head and went walking to the pool Zack asked me if I thought he would remember how to swim. I told him I didn’t know for sure but I felt like it was one of those things that you just don’t forget. He was never much interested in getting in the pool anyway because he wanted to work on his tan but he did make sure he could still swim. The first day they played golf I rented bikes with Dylan and the girls and we went riding for 6 hours. I didn’t feel too bad (except for my bottom) so the next morning when Zack wanted me to run on the beach with him I was ready. We ran about 3 miles and it wasn’t until several hours later that my knees were killing me. By 5:00 I could hardly make it up the stairs to our condo, so the rest of the week Zack had to run by himself. We still had a wonderful time, a much needed rest for our entire family.
Since most of our time with Zack is in a social setting we don’t see a lot of aphasia presented (like they would in therapy or school). We are usually talking about things that he is familiar with and knows the names of, but he still has a lot of problems with food for some reason. When I was making the grocery list out and asked him what he wanted he said “those things that are really good for you that I like to eat”. It took a few more questions and his answers of “I get them out of the refrigerator and they’re round” for me to figure out he meant grapes. Fortunately he doesn’t get frustrated and in fact we all laugh about it. It happened again when we stopped on the way home at Subway and ordered sandwiches. I told Zack to tell the girl what he wanted on his sandwich and he said what ever I got was fine. When I pressed him to make his own sandwich he looked at me and said “How am I supposed to know what all those things are called?” He doesn’t seem to get embarrassed by it. He just accepts it much the same way he accepts the fact he doesn’t read as well since the accident. I don’t really care that he has some problems identifying food because he is so appreciative of things he took for granted before and is much more sensitive to the feelings of others. He thanked Scott and I both several times for taking him on vacation. When I was tired and stressed from unpacking and doing the laundry once we got home, Zack came up and gave me a hug and said he would help me. He is different, not like the teenager he was before. He even likes different music. He used to listen to only rap. Now he enjoys country, old rock and roll and love songs. Lindsey gave him a CD of Harry Connick Jr. and he listens to it every day while he runs (not the choice of most teenage boys these days).
He is still interested in speaking to other teenagers with me. He likes to watch the reactions on their faces while they listen to me tell about his accident. He wants to see if anyone cries because he says that means they know what I’m saying is important. I spoke yesterday at Barrett Middle School to the 8th grade class. There were about 200 students who were very attentive and asked good questions. It was the kick off to a week of festivities for them that lead up to graduation. Their counselor thanked me for delivering an inspirational message that was greatly needed at this time in their lives. I was thankful that even though this is a public school they did not ask me to remove any references to God or prayer or even the scripture I quote. Although this is a message of how choices impact your life, it doesn’t have the same meaning without explaining how God was in control. Zack didn’t go with me because he was just getting back into the rhythm of school after Spring Break and he also had not been practicing his speech. He will speak with me at Trinity High School on April 26th, so he will start rehearsing again.
I talked to him about adding more to his speech so he could start talking longer but he says it is hard enough remembering what he has to say already. Dr Perri has volunteered to work with Zack and help us gradually increase his portion of the speech. This is in preparation (I pray) for the day he will speak alone (or at least have more to say than I do). I have faith that Zack can do it and God will bless his efforts. Zack has a message for so many teenagers and hidden within his words will be the greatness of our God! Pray that Zack’s enthusiasm and determination will overcome his weakness of memorizing. Pray that God will continue to heal him and use him to proclaim His awesome power. Pray for complete recovery.
Deut 32:1 Listen O heavens, and I will speak, hear O earth the words of my mouth.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear sprink break went well! I know you all needed that trip! miss you guys and I'll see you soon! Happy Easter!

8:55 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God continues to hear our prayers and heal Zack. It is such a blessing to know that! We believe Zack has a might calling from God and know his influence will be wide spread. Your ministry is awesome, Eileen. We pray that Matt will, some day, be a part of it too.
Love to you, Mary, Dan & Matt

10:35 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome Home!!!!

6:25 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad your trip was nice and relaxing, and that Zack can still swim (hahaha). I hope you have a wonderful Easter holiday.

8:01 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear you all had such a great time on your "much needed" vacation.
I am a preschool teacher. The past couple weeks we've been learning about caterpillars and butterflies. We actually order the caterpillars and the kids get to watch the transformation. Our caterpillars turned to butterflies last week and Wednesday we got to let them go. I couldn't help but think of Zack the whole time. How God has transformed him and made him new. Now he's spreading his wings and experiencing life in a whole new way than he would have before. And God still isn't done with him !!
It may sound corny I don't know.:) I just thought of how caterpillars have a life their used to, pretty much eating all the time. God was preparing them the whole time. Then they change to this beautiful butterfly. As a butterfly they get to experience things in a much better way and actually fly and go places. Zack now how this opportunity to reach out to others in a way that he couldn't have before the accident. I think he has so much potential and I can't wait to hear or see what he makes of the newfound opportunities he has.
I hope you all have a blessed Easter!!
Kristy

12:53 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott & Eileen -

So happy to hear your family enjoyed a much needed get-away. And thanks for posting the pictures...the truest testiment of Gods awesome power! We continue to pray for Zack everyday in the car on our way to school. Connor & Trent often ask how he's doing and I am always happy to report that God is holding his hand and healing him a little bit more each and everyday. Thank you too for continuing this site...everytime I sit down for an update it puts life into perspective for me. I pray for you to have continued strength throughout Zacks healing and growth and that our Lord continues to supply each of you with daily humor creating smiles for each of you.

Always in my thoughts and prayers,

Julie Giffin

12:44 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zack,
I knew you looked familiar at the bowling alley tonight! My friends and I heard about your accident and looked at the blogs. We are glad to see that you are doing so well. Your dad and you were very friendly and nice; it was nice to meet you. We hope everything continues to go well for you!
Taylor (fr: Ten Pins 4/21/06)

12:08 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home