Sunday, July 31, 2005

Friday July 29, 2005

Friday July 29, 2005 When I arrived this morning Zack was chillin’ in his bed with the lights out watching T.V. He had his leg swung over the side rail and looked completely relaxed and at home. As I walked across the room he tracked me all the way to the right. Kendra (night nurse) had left a note on his door for us that he had a great night and nodded yes twice. Dr Skolnick (pulmonary) and Dr Borhan (resident) came at 7:30 to change his Trach. They place a #6 Jackson metal Trach that has a plug. This Trach is smaller, much easier to clean and the plug enables him to speak when he’s ready. After his Trach was changed he was stretching his arm over his head. When I asked him to raise his hand he would. He also put it down when I asked. We were very pleased that he was following commands. At 9:30 AM Amy (PT) and Mary Beth (OT) came in for co-therapy. They took pictures of him in different positions so that I will know how to position him myself when they aren’t around. These positions help with the tone in his right arm and shoulder. Mary Beth cancelled the dynamic arm splint that Dr Mook ordered and said she was going to make him a custom one that was more suitable and less expensive. When they are ready to leave Mary Beth ask him to squeeze her hand if he wants her to leave him alone. He just stares at her. Then she asks him if he wants her to leave him alone and he nods “no”. She almost cried because most patients want her to leave them alone and would nod yes. I think we will get lots of extra attention from OT now. Zack slept for a while and then it was time to get him dressed and ready to go to the gym. We woke him up and set him on the side of the bed. He started to cough and when I looked at him he had a grimace on his face and he looked like he was going to cry. I asked him what was wrong and he said “no”! He spoke!!! There were several visitors around as we moved him to his wheel chair. I asked him if he wanted to go to the gym and again he said “no”! I told him Mary Beth was at the gym and did he want to see her. He said 3 or 4 words that we couldn’t understand but if we would have had a tape recorder to rewind I’m sure we could figure it out (we just weren’t expecting it). When we went to the gym I was telling everyone that Zack spoke. Dr. Miller (physiatrist resident) was in the gym and came to find us. He heard that Zack spoke and wanted to see him. Of course Zack had nothing to say but Dr Miller asked him to “give him five” and Zack held out his hand. He did great in physical therapy. They were using beanbags of different colors and asking him to grab it and give it to me. He reached for the 1st one and released it into my hand. Mary Beth and Amy said that was very good because it is harder to release than to hold something. After the first one he wasn’t ready to give it to me and actually held it in his hand and fingered it like a baseball. When therapy was over and it was time to leave they asked him for a “high five” and he raised his hand. We were all so pleased with him. By the time we got back to his room it was close to 5:00 and he was very tired. He rested peacefully until Julie (who cuts Scott’s hair) came with Scott. She cut Zack’s hair (on the side that wasn’t shaved off for surgery) to clean him up a bit.
I can’t help but think how loving our God is that he would give me such a fantastic day after the emotional one I had yesterday. I would have been happy with one “no” and he gave us two, and a great day in PT. He always sends the right person or posting on the website at the right time. He heard my cries yesterday and I know his heart ached for me so he blessed me with so many things today. When I left here yesterday I commented that I wish I could just go to sleep and wake up months from now when Zack was well. Now I wouldn’t miss these moments for nothing. It is like having your precious child back again and experiencing his 1st words and soon 1st steps. My prayer tonight will be that I will just trust God. That I will know he loves us so much and is waiting for just the right moment to wake Zack up. That’s right…he still is not awake…but he spoke. When my emotions are overwhelming I need to just let go and let God perform miracles. How blessed are we that God will carry us through an experience that not many others can claim? Keep praying for Zack’s complete recovery and the ministry that awaits him.

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey hornbacks!
i am sooo happy to hear about zacks progress.it makes me so happy everytime i read this. thank you so much for keeping us updated!! Hang in there zack

2:02 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEY H0RNBACKS!

i'VE NEVER MET ZACK BUT i'VE HEARD S0 MANY GREAT THiNGS AB0UT HiM. i'M S0 HAPPY T0 HEAR H0W WELL ZACK iS D0iNG! i WAS S0 HAPPY T0 HEAR THAT HE SAiD HiS FiRST W0RDS 0N FRiDAY! && THANKS F0R KEEPiNG US P0STED! iT MEANS A L0T T0 US THAT CAN'T MAKE iT T0 THE H0SPiTAL. STAY STR0NG ZACK!! WE'RE ALL PRAYiNG!

<3 BRiTTANY N.

2:14 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Mr. and Mrs. Hornback, im so glad 2 here Zack is doing great, but im just kind of wondering how Dylan is doing, u havent talked about him and i know that he loved Zack so much so i was wondering how he was taking all of this. Thanks for keeping us posted!
love,
Lindsey mayhall

2:21 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hornbacks! oh my goodness. that is so amazing. it made me cry. God is so incredible. and is working so many miracles with zack. im praying for your family and zack CONSTANTLY!
God Bless
-Breanne Martel

3:21 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hornback family,
I'm from the Fern Creek Christian Church youth group. My mom saw the email sent out by our youth minister and we got to read through some of your postings. I was almost in tears after the first reading. It brings so much joy in my heart to see that God is pulling you through this and that he can pull any of us through anything. Your faith has touched my life and I'm sure it will touch so many others. I'll keep you all in my prayers. STAY STRONG!!
-Fern creek member

4:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hornbacks~~wow! i am so excited that Zack is doing so well. All of the prayers have def. worked!!I knew that he could do it! We all will keep praying for him and you all too! i Love you Hornbacks!!

4:09 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thats soo aweSome that zack is doing so well and tAlKiNg!!...im so excited for him...i cant wait to see him...i will keep up the prayers!

4:45 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I am go glad things are going well. There are bad days and then God always blesses you with a good one. Remember he will never give us anymore than we can handle. I know there are times right now when you think you can't, but from your post, he is carrying all of you through this. He is not only touching and changing the lives of your family, but all who read and really believe in Jesus Christ. I am so thankful that I knew you all enough to find out and read each day, because it only makes me work harder at making the right decisions for Christ. You are being a great witness to so many.

If you do not mind, I read all of your post, but the only thing that is confusing and hard for me to understand is that Zack is not awake, but he follows you across the room with his eyes, he speaks, he follows commands. If it is not too much trouble or painful, I know those of us who do not understand this sort of brain injury are having a hard time understanding this concept of him not being awake.

Praying daily.

5:22 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear more about Zack! i was with him for an hour and Saturday and he was doing so0o much better! My family and I are still praying everday! We love you all so0o mUch!
<3 the sLadE fAmiLY

5:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey hornbacks!

you all dont know me.. but ive been reading the updates and how zack has been doing. the entry on friday made me cry! i just wanted to let you all know that i am thinking of you and i am praying for you, your friends, zach's friends, and of course... ZACH constantly! thank you for keeping me and everyone updated! i know everyone appreciates it! God is doing miracles for you all and zach... so thank you god for everything!

HANG IN THERE ZACK.. AND KEEP IT UP!

<33 Lauren Cooper

8:22 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are such an awesome christian and you have so much faith in God. Its great to hear that Zack is doing bettter. I know that if everyone keeps praying and believing that Zack will come out of this as good as he always was GOD BLESS!!!!!!!!!!!

9:37 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Hornbacks!
I just wanna thank yall first of all for taking the time to let everyone know what's goin on with Zack...i know it's helping a lot of people like myself understand what's happening and how Zack is progressing. Your AMAZING strength thru this has been such an incredible witness to me...it really shows me that God can help us thru ANYTHING!

I am SO THRILLED to hear that Zack spoke for the first time!! That is so amazing!

I'll continue to pray for Zack and for the family!!! <3

10:31 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dear hornback family,

I am in awe of your faith. I am also inspired by it. While I struggle with typical teenager issues and get angry and feel helpless at times, you remind me that my children are in God's hands and for him to do the work, I need to get out of the way. God is not only doing great things with Zack but with you as well. For as many teenagers as Zack will testify to, you have testified to parents about love, trust, and above all faith.

11:13 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

amazing...that is all I can say...a huge smile spred across my face when I read that zack spoke..my best wishes and prayers are still with you...

12:41 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey hornbacks
Im soooo happy to hear that zack is doing soo well. I was soo happy when morgan told me that he said "no". I hope he keeps up the great work!!
God bless,
cOuRtNeY jOhNsOn

5:52 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Mr. & Mrs. Hornback,
I have been following Zacks condition since day one. I just want to tell you i am so happy and excited for Zack he is doing excellent and i do belive that our Glorious God well give Zack a full recovery i think he is well on his way. Just to let you know i am thinking of him and praying for him everyday. So please tell Zack for me to keep up the Good Job!!!!!

Yours Trully,
Vicky Wolfe

10:34 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Sister-In_Christ,

"My brethren, take the prophets, who spoke in the name of the Lord, as an example of suffering and patience. Indeed we count them blessed who endure. You have heard of the perseverance of Job and seen the end intended by the Lord-that the Lord is very compassionate and merciful." James 5:10-11

I pray that this gives you much hope in our Lord. It gives me such comfort to know that our God is in control and that His pefect will is being done in Zack's life. I don't know you personally but I will tell you that you are a beautiful example of the Lord's grace in your life. I remember Beth Moore once saying that grace is like the manna that God gave the Isralites in the desert. He gave exactly what they needed at exactly the right time. I know that our Perfect and Just God is doing that for you and your family. God created us to Glorify Him in every situation and you are doing that beautifully. I will continue to pray for you and Zack here in Owensboro and will pass it on to other brethren that I know. The internet is a wonderful thing when used for good. Recently our pastor was very ill and due to e-mail we found out that literally 1000's of God's people were praying for him all over the world.
James tells us that "The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much."
"The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit.Amen"Philemon 1:25

9:07 AM

 
Blogger oakleyses said...

longchamp outlet, replica watches, nike air max, oakley sunglasses, christian louboutin uk, ray ban sunglasses, nike free, longchamp pas cher, cheap oakley sunglasses, tiffany and co, jordan shoes, nike air max, christian louboutin, louboutin pas cher, ray ban sunglasses, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses wholesale, polo outlet, kate spade outlet, longchamp outlet, longchamp outlet, michael kors pas cher, prada outlet, gucci handbags, ugg boots, christian louboutin outlet, louis vuitton outlet, louis vuitton, chanel handbags, nike roshe, jordan pas cher, nike free run, air max, louis vuitton outlet, tory burch outlet, oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, sac longchamp pas cher, louis vuitton, tiffany jewelry, nike outlet, christian louboutin shoes, polo ralph lauren, louis vuitton outlet, ugg boots, replica watches, uggs on sale

11:44 PM

 
Blogger oakleyses said...

nike free uk, ray ban pas cher, guess pas cher, kate spade, ray ban uk, nike roshe run uk, new balance, abercrombie and fitch uk, michael kors outlet online, north face, uggs outlet, replica handbags, michael kors outlet online, coach purses, burberry outlet, hogan outlet, uggs outlet, michael kors outlet, vans pas cher, true religion outlet, michael kors outlet, nike blazer pas cher, hollister uk, michael kors, sac hermes, polo lacoste, nike tn, true religion outlet, converse pas cher, michael kors outlet online, hollister pas cher, sac vanessa bruno, michael kors outlet online, nike air force, true religion outlet, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, burberry handbags, coach outlet store online, nike air max, michael kors, oakley pas cher, lululemon canada, nike air max uk, nike air max uk, coach outlet, north face uk, mulberry uk

11:47 PM

 
Blogger oakleyses said...

iphone 6s cases, chi flat iron, ipad cases, north face outlet, hollister, ralph lauren, wedding dresses, nike air max, north face outlet, louboutin, baseball bats, insanity workout, iphone 6 plus cases, soccer jerseys, celine handbags, asics running shoes, ferragamo shoes, mcm handbags, valentino shoes, p90x workout, nike roshe run, babyliss, timberland boots, nfl jerseys, iphone cases, lululemon, iphone 5s cases, ghd hair, iphone 6 cases, mont blanc pens, longchamp uk, hollister clothing, beats by dre, reebok outlet, instyler, s6 case, oakley, bottega veneta, hermes belt, soccer shoes, herve leger, jimmy choo outlet, mac cosmetics, abercrombie and fitch, new balance shoes, nike trainers uk, iphone 6s plus cases, nike huaraches

11:49 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home