Sunday, August 28, 2005

Sunday August 28, 2005

Sunday August 28, 2005 Zack woke up once during the night last night and used the call button to get the nurse to his room. He told her that he woke up and couldn’t go back to sleep. She asked him if he wanted something to help him sleep and when he said yes she gave him Trazadone. He then slept until 8:15 when he got up to eat breakfast. Afterwards he took part of the newspaper and wrapped it around himself. When the nurse asked him if he was cold and needed a blanket he said yes. She said he was very resourceful. He wanted to go outside so Rita (Scott’s Mom) took him for a ride in his wheelchair. He wanted to pick a flower for his Mom. Rita asked him if he was going to get married. He said yes on Oct. 5th (news to me) and he wanted to have 5 kids. At 9:00 he called his Dad to see what he was doing. Now he likes to talk on the phone. At 10:00 Dr. Boran and Dr Shaw come in to check on Zack and see if the results of his EEG were available. Zack took a nap before lunch and when he woke up and headed to the bathroom at 11:30 he had another attack. Dr Boran came back to say the result were not in yet. Zack fell asleep in his recliner watching T.V. He got up at 12:20 and had another attack and this time fell to his knees. It scared him and he was very upset and started to cry. He called me and wanted to know when I would be there. I arrived after church while he was eating lunch. He was still upset about the fall and told me to fix him. He is used to me taking control and talking to the doctors. I told him not to worry about it any more that that was my job and I would take care of it. He told me we have to get out of here. I asked him where he wanted to go and he said home. When we get up to brush his teeth he asked me, “when are we both getting out of here”? I promised him as soon as he was through with therapy here we would go home. 2:00 Steve Smith from Southeast Christian Church comes by to give Zack communion. He also happens to be an E.R. doctor at Baptist East and we discuss what has been happening to Zack. He also thinks it is blood pressure related and not seizures. 3:00 Dr. Puri (pediatric neurologist on call) comes to discuss the results of Zack’s EEG. He said there was some irregular activity on the right side of his brain but not significant. It only showed that if Zack were to have a seizure it would most likely originate on the right side. He confirmed the problem was orthostatic hypotension: a sudden drop in blood pressure due to position changes. He started him on Florinef, a drug that regulates the blood pressure by helping the body retain fluid. He said the dazed look in Zack’s eyes was due to not enough blood getting to the brain. As you sit or lie down for a long period of time, blood pools in your calves. When you stand up the blood rushes to your head feeding the brain. Zack’s doesn’t happen fast enough causing him to be dizzy. He said this condition is common in tall, thin teenagers especially if they have a growth spurt. There is also a genetic factor if a parent has a history of low blood pressure. Zack fits this profile perfectly. He has recently gone through a growth spurt and lost a lot of weight. I have always had low blood pressure. Dr. Puri suggested a new way for Zack to get up. Before he stands he needs to wiggle his feet, then stand and lift his knees up and down a few times. This will pump the blood up to his brain. He also wants him drinking 10 to 12 glasses of fluids a day and Gatorade would be a good choice. Although Dr.Holmes will continue to see Zack while he is here he does not see outpatients. Once Zack leaves Frazier he will be seen by Dr. Puri. I am so grateful that Dr. Puri came by and took the time to explain everything to me. It isn’t so scary now knowing the cause of these attacks and how to treat them. Dave Stone and his family arrive while Dr. Puri is finishing up and Zack is able to visit with them for a while. By 6:00 Zack has finished dinner and is putting in his room with the golf club and putting green his Dad brought in. He has several of his friends visit (two at a time so people are really helping me follow the visiting rules). At 8:00 he said he wanted to call his Dad. I asked him if he remembered our home phone number and he said it. I asked him if he could dial it and he did. He told his dad he wanted to go fishing. When they hung up I asked him if he remembered my cell phone number and he did. He also knew Scott’s cell phone number but he couldn’t remember his own (not surprising since he never called himself). He is doing so well it’s amazing. People that haven’t seen him for a week or even a few days are shocked at his progress.
10:30 PM Zack was laying in bed and said he wanted to see the computer. I got the laptop for him and typed his name. Then he typed “zackistheonlywaytoshowyou”. I asked him what that meant and he just shrugged his shoulders. This is the first thing Zack has typed since his accident. I think that maybe God has revealed to him that His discipline may seem harsh but that Zack is the only way to show you His healing power. He has come so far and we know the hand of God has been on him. Prayers have lifted him up since day one. It reminds me of the song we sang in church this morning: “You said, ask and I’ll give the Nations to you. Oh Lord, that’s the cry of my heart”. People from many nations are praying for him. I know that is not what the writer of this song meant but we can no longer sit and church and not apply every scripture and lyric to our situation. We feel so blessed that God has drawn us into His Word so intimately. To know the meaning of Him as our shelter. To believe that we will have life more abundantly. Do not weep for us but weep for those who go through similar tragedies and don’t know Jesus. They have no shelter in the storm. We are wrapped in His loving arms and each day He sends us new hope. I hear Him whisper to me still “just wait until tomorrow”. Pray for Zack’s mixed up words so he will be able to communicate his needs. Pray for complete recovery.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zack -

Like I said earlier...you are an angel on earth. After reading the last 2 updates in utter amazement I feel the intense need to "Thank You." Thank you for accepting God's plan for you with such courage, strength and faith. Your experience has renewed a part of my Christian faith that has apparently been lacking. Of course, I attend Coast Hills Christian Church in California and thank the Lord daily for all of the many blessings He has provided for my family. But after my daily readings of "Zaxscumback" especially 8/27/05 and 8/28/05, any ounce of doubt I may have had, even thought I feel I am a believer, has vanished. So thank you for bringing me many steps close to our Lord. I feel I can now lead my family to the next level of believing as well. You are a true inspiration.
All my love,
Julie Giffin

12:27 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eileen-
Dr. Puri was my daughter's angel a few years back. God used him to heal my daughter of an unknown illness that kept her in intense pain for almost 8 weeks. Twelve other doctors could do nothing for her. He even called to check on her when he was out of the country.
He is the most caring and knowledgeable doctor I have ever met. Zack is so lucky to have him.
gail

6:33 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Zack,

It's Mr. H (Ben Hedgspeth), your old 7th grade Bible teacher. I just found out about your situation, and I just wanted you to know that I'll be praying for you!

God really is our Great Provider, and it's an awesome comfort to know that He is always working with us and loving on us no matter what is going on. He will give you all the strength and comfort if you just keep on leaning on Him.

I know He will take care of you, just like He always said He would!

God bless you and keep you!

Until later,
in Him,
ben hedgspeth (mr.h)

11:52 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my gosh! the progress zack has made is a true miracle! it must fill your heart with gratitude and joy for God's steady hand in this journey. and to witness first hand how God is working through and speaking to zack. your family was in my prayers all weekend and will continue this week. thanks for the continuous updates - they always bring tears of sadness and joy as i read....and as always zack brings laughter to the table. love, jules

12:07 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eileen,

Email me so I can get your email address. tcarrico@insightbb.com

1:58 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tears and joy fill my heart everytime I read the updates on Zack. I read it everyday and pray for all of you everyday. His progress is truly a miracle from God as will be his complete recovery. I know God will continue to bless all of you and this site as it has been a witness to thousands and probably millions already.

God Bless

2:48 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zack-
You are in great hands with Dr.Puri! He is my neurologist, and he goes out of his way to help. I am always praying for you and your recovery. ohh and good luck with Oct 5th.

Love,
Andie Moore

7:07 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Hornbacks...we havent had a chance to come to the hospital lately but we will be there soon. You are right that people are praying everywhere...today at cheerleading someone i didnt know came up and asked me if i went to CAL..when i said yes they said that they knew Zack when they were little and that they have been praying! i find that so amazing! It sounds like hes doing a lot better and i hope we can come soon. We LovE you alL!
KeLsey Slade and familY!

7:20 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW ! AMAZING THING FOR YOU AND EVERYONE THAT KNOWS OF ZACK. GOD TRULY HAS A PLAN AND YOUR FAMILY IS PART OF IT . I'M GLAD ZACK YOU ARE DOING BETTER KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! SOON HE WILL WRITE ON THIS BLOG!!!I PRAY FOR YOU ALL DAILY AND KNOW GOD IS CARING FOR YOU ALL. THIS HAS BROUGHT MY FAMILY CLOSER TO GOD ! jUST KEEP PRAYING AND WE ALL WILL ALSO!!

9:32 PM

 
Blogger oakleyses said...

longchamp outlet, replica watches, nike air max, oakley sunglasses, christian louboutin uk, ray ban sunglasses, nike free, longchamp pas cher, cheap oakley sunglasses, tiffany and co, jordan shoes, nike air max, christian louboutin, louboutin pas cher, ray ban sunglasses, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses wholesale, polo outlet, kate spade outlet, longchamp outlet, longchamp outlet, michael kors pas cher, prada outlet, gucci handbags, ugg boots, christian louboutin outlet, louis vuitton outlet, louis vuitton, chanel handbags, nike roshe, jordan pas cher, nike free run, air max, louis vuitton outlet, tory burch outlet, oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, sac longchamp pas cher, louis vuitton, tiffany jewelry, nike outlet, christian louboutin shoes, polo ralph lauren, louis vuitton outlet, ugg boots, replica watches, uggs on sale

11:45 PM

 
Blogger oakleyses said...

iphone 6s cases, chi flat iron, ipad cases, north face outlet, hollister, ralph lauren, wedding dresses, nike air max, north face outlet, louboutin, baseball bats, insanity workout, iphone 6 plus cases, soccer jerseys, celine handbags, asics running shoes, ferragamo shoes, mcm handbags, valentino shoes, p90x workout, nike roshe run, babyliss, timberland boots, nfl jerseys, iphone cases, lululemon, iphone 5s cases, ghd hair, iphone 6 cases, mont blanc pens, longchamp uk, hollister clothing, beats by dre, reebok outlet, instyler, s6 case, oakley, bottega veneta, hermes belt, soccer shoes, herve leger, jimmy choo outlet, mac cosmetics, abercrombie and fitch, new balance shoes, nike trainers uk, iphone 6s plus cases, nike huaraches

11:50 PM

 
Blogger oakleyses said...

canada goose outlet, canada goose, swarovski crystal, canada goose, canada goose, karen millen uk, ray ban, coach outlet, wedding dresses, moncler, louis vuitton, moncler outlet, swarovski, moncler, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, juicy couture outlet, moncler, marc jacobs, barbour, gucci, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, toms shoes, links of london, supra shoes, pandora charms, doudoune moncler, hollister, canada goose outlet, ugg, converse, replica watches, pandora jewelry, pandora uk, ugg uk, barbour uk, moncler uk, moncler outlet, hollister, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, canada goose outlet, ugg pas cher, montre pas cher, louis vuitton, moncler, juicy couture outlet, louis vuitton, vans, canada goose uk, thomas sabo, canada goose jackets, nike air max, converse outlet

11:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home