Monday, December 05, 2005

Sunday December 4, 2005

Sunday December 4, 2005 What a great weekend we had. Zack, six of his friends and I left for Nashville about 2:00 on Friday. We arrived at my friends, Kelly and Barry Paul’s house in time to change and head to Lipscomb University for the Winter Wonderslam concert featuring Toby Mac, Grits, Barlow Girls and Mathew West. All are Christian rap or rock artist. Zack was very excited because Kim, a friend and neighbor of Kelly’s, had gotten us Meet and Greet passes. Before the concert began Zack, Andrew, Try and I went to meet Toby Mac, Barlow Girls and Mathew West. We got autographs and pictures and then were interviewed by the Today Show (which will air sometime in mid Dec). Once the concert began Zack and his friends went to the floor in front of the stage and I could see Zack’s head boppin to the music. He was really looking forward to Grit (Christian rap) and by the time they were on stage I was down on the floor too. It was a great concert and Toby Mac was the main attraction and last performer. He was ½ way through his performance when Zack looked at me and said, “This is all for him”. He had just realized that Toby Mac was the featured artist and everyone else was just leading up to him. He was finally convinced that “white guys” can rap and was blown away by the show. I thought he would be worn out because he hadn’t had a nap but at the end of the concert he was still jamming (several of his friends were sitting down). Once back at Kelly’s house they stayed up until after 2:00 AM when we finally made them turn off the TV and go to sleep. Saturday we headed to the Mall to go shopping. Kelly’s boys went with us (Alex 10 and Jackson 7) and they were quite fascinated with these teenagers. At one store they got to talking to a salesgirl who ironically had been in a car accident and had to have her face reconstructed. Zack showed her the scars on his head and they traded stories (it was also obvious that he was using his experience to flirt with this cute salesgirl). That night we went to Shogun for dinner and laughed through most of our meal. Rick (Zack’s friend who is now at Western University) entertained us and got everyone singing songs and playing word games. Scott had told me earlier in the day to be sure to pay for all the kids meals and tell them it was from Mr. Hornback. As we were leaving I told everyone to thank Mr. Hornback because the dinner was on him. Zack looked at me confused and said, “Mr. Hornback bought everyone’s dinner? Why”. I said he just wanted to and Zack pointed at Barry Paul and said, “His name is Mr. Hornback too?” We laughed and I explained that had talked to his Dad earlier and he wanted to buy his friends dinner. Back at Kelly’s the kids (including Kelly’s boys) played hide and go seek upstairs in the dark. Again it was 2:00 AM when we finally had to shut down the party so we could get some sleep. I woke up at 6:30 and couldn’t go back to sleep. I knew that we were going to the Paul’s church this morning and they were showing slides and introducing Zack to the congregation. Grassland Heights Baptist Church has been praying for Zack since his accident and several of their members had been following his progress on the website. I had met Linda at Kelly’s house on Saturday and she was emotional as she looked at his photo album. Barry called the pastor and told him we were in town and they decided to put something together at the last minute. Kelly, Zack and I arrived early and met with Brother Rusty in his office. We discussed Zack’s experience in more detail and how it has impacted our family as well as many other people. We take our place in the church and Zack waits expectantly for his friends to arrive. He chooses to sit with them (Andrew, Trey, Rick, Tiffany, Kara and Brittany) a row behind Barry, Kelly and I. Their service included a skit put on by the youth group and a report from a missionary to Africa (they were kicking off their International Missions program). At the end of the service Brother Rusty told about Zack’s accident and welcomed our group to the service. They showed a slide presentation of the pictures from our photo album set to music. Then they asked Zack and I to come forward to give our testimony. Brother Rusty welcomed us to the pulpit explaining that Zack should not have lived but here he was standing before them. He shook Zack’s hand and asked him to share his story. Zack had readily come forward, stood before the congregation and smiled. At the microphone he looked at me, then at his audience and said, “Yes I was in an accident and basically don’t sneak out”. He looked again at me and smiled telling me that was all he had. He is not afraid or shy to be before an audience but he still doesn’t quite know how to express himself. I then took the opportunity to speak to the young people in the audience. I explained how Zack could have been the poster boy for “This could never happen to me” and that as his parents we never thought that he would sneak out in the middle of the night. I impressed upon them how “seemingly innocent choices can change their lives forever”, that God put their parents as authority over them to help them make good decisions and that we serve a mighty God who can take tragic situations and use them as a testimony. I told them that this church was one of many that prayed for Zack’s healing and that God answered those prayers beyond what we could have hoped or imagined. I shared that if I had to chose between the Zack before the accident (the A student) or the Zack after the accident who struggled to read that I don’t know which one I would pick but I am very happy with the one God gave us. It was very moving and emotional for me and the audience. We returned to our seats and Brother Rusty asked me a few more questions. They then asked Zack and I to come to the front of the church with his friends and all the young people of the congregation. They prayed for continued healing for Zack and wisdom for the teenagers hearing his story. After the service several of the kids came up to meet Zack and many parents thanked me for speaking to them. I couldn’t help thinking about the scripture reference from Luke that Brother Rusty had used in his sermon. “To whom much is given, much will be required”. We have been given so much. God has blessed us with a remarkable healing and given us back our new and improved son. I feel compelled to tell others of the mercy and power our Heavenly Father. I am reminded of the Leper who was healed by Jesus and was told to go tell everyone what had happened. We too have been touched by God. His healing hand has worked wonders in Zack’s life in the last five months and we pray with confidence that his recovery will continue. We say goodbye to the Paul’s (I am sure that Alex and Jackson will miss the houseful of roudy teenagers but Barry and Kelly will get a full night’s sleep). Zack checks the time and reminds me that he wants to make it back to Louisville in time to go to church tonight. He doesn’t want to miss the Vine, especially “that guy that sings”, but I know it is unlikely we will be back in time. As I drive back to Louisville with a car full of sleeping teenagers I am wondering where God will lead us next. How different our life is now. Not one I would have necessarily chosen but one that I am extremely grateful for. I wonder when I will step aside and hear Zack tell his audience how prayer carried him through a difficult time. We live in the moment. We understand so clearly now that God is in control. We listen carefully for we know that sometimes God whispers…but then again sometimes He sends thunder. How ironic that Zack looks towards the heavens and points out clouds with the suns halo surrounding them. He draws our eyes towards the heavens. Look up knowing that God hears your prayers. Be confident in His power and embrace His mercy. Please continue to pray for Zack’s complete recovery so God can be glorified.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you...........

8:11 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear you all had a wonderful weekend!! I was praying for you all! God is so good!!!
Kristy Noland

8:45 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a great time.

8:56 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad that yall had a fun time, I enjoyed meeting you and Zack.
Blessings,
Kim (Kelly's friend)

12:28 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eileen,
Would you re-post the information about teenager's brain and how it is not fully developed until their 20ies, etc. or if you just give the date of the blog, I could look it up myself.
It amazes me how in 5 months some teens can forget what happened the night of Zack's accident. It changed them for the first couple of months and then they slipped back into old ways or old ways of thinking. My daughter is one of them.
Thank you for this site and for your encouraging words and your deep wisdom.

7:20 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home