Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Sunday November 27, 2005

Sunday November 28, 2005 Zack slept in until 9:00 and then got up to get ready for church. I had thought that there was no high school worship because of Thanksgiving weekend so we had planned on him going to church with us. We haven’t worshiped together since October 9th, the day he was released form the hospital, so I was really looking forward to it. Of course the music wasn’t quite what he is used to in high school worship or the Vine but he still stood and sang with us. He wanted to know why the old people (that would be anyone over 21) didn’t raise their hands when they sang so that got me scanning the sanctuary for enthusiastic worshipers. I was able to point out a few but I don’t think he was impressed. He told me he was going to sing with his hands raised tonight at the Vine. He listened intently to the sermon and at one point handed me the Bible so I could look up the passages Bob Russell was referring to. He followed along and could keep up and I couldn’t help but wonder if God was making it easier for him to read because it was scripture. I even asked him if it was hard for him to read it and he said no. As we walked out of the sanctuary he told me that the sermon was really good and he got something out of it. I went to pick Kyle up from her Sunday school class and left Zack in the atrium visiting with friends. When I returned he was talking with several parents and many people approached me about the article in the Southeast Outlook newspaper. We headed home to meet my sister who was taking pictures of the kids for our Christmas card this year. We were trying for just the right shot that captured all our kids together again. Once through with pictures Zack headed to his room for a nap and reminded me that we were going to the Vine tonight. We ate a quick meal of leftovers and headed back to church. We arrived earlier than usual and Zack didn’t see any of his normal group of friends. We went to the sanctuary to get out seats and Zack headed closer to the front than we normally sit. I pointed out that when his friends arrived they would be sitting back further but he didn’t care, he wanted to be up close. It wasn’t long before we saw others that we knew who joined us and then the music began. Zack made up for any lack of enthusiasm in worship this morning. He sang, eyes closed, hand raised or clapping to the faster songs. He asked me if I thought anyone in the band might quit because he would like to join them. I reminded him that he didn’t know how to play any musical instrument but he didn’t seem to think that made a difference, he could just sing.
We ended the worship by singing Amazing Grace, which put me in tears as well as Brooke Willoughby’s Mom. Zack asked me why I was crying and I explained that he used to sing Amazing grace to everyone at Frazier Rehab. He smiled and really turned on the singing then. Brooke and her Mom came back to the house to roast marshmallows and drink hot chocolate on the deck. Several other kids stopped by to join us and it made for a perfect ending to a great day of worship. I feel so fortunate that there is a style of worship that appeals to teenagers. Most of the Vine service is spent on worship through contemporary music, the style is very different from Sunday morning. We can worship God in so many ways (through song, service, prayer) and all are pleasing in his sight. Each time I see Zack singing in church I am reminded of those times when he lay so perfectly still in ICU, unable to utter a sound, and I am filled with unspeakable joy. God has blessed us beyond measure and if Zack were to never recover more than he has at this moment we would be thankful. But we pray with confidence that He is not finished yet. God will continue to be glorified through Zack’s recovery so this road has just begun.
I will be speaking to students at Male High School this Thursday through the fellowship of Christian Athletes so pray that we can reach those teenagers who need to understand the power of prayer. Pray that those searching for answers will find a merciful God capable of handing all their concerns. As always, pray for Zack’s continued recovery for the Glory of God!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eileen,
It is such an awesome thing you do each time you speak to young people! They see your passion and I know they hear your words. I'll be praying for you on Thursday and for your audience.

7:30 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you..............

9:24 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Zack, I go to Southeast Christian church also, and I was just reading the article in the paper. As I was reading it, I just started thanking and thanking and thanking the Lord for everything He was doing in your life, because I kinda had the same type of accident happen to me when I was 19yrs. old. I flipped a 4wheeler over on top of me at a friends house and after the ambulence arrived, my heart stopped beating(I died) twice going to the hospital, but they shocked me to regain my heart beat each time. After i got to the hospital, doctors told my parents my vital signs was very weak and I probably wouldn't make it. But I have a very strong believing family/friends and prayers started going up to my Father all over the USA, because of a prayer chain thru the Gideons, my dad was a Gideon, and all my family and friends and He heard those prayers and had mercy on me!!! To make a long story short, I was in a coma for 11 days and after i woke up, I was paralyzed, right side, and couldn't remember things. But, our Father is so Awesome and loves us so much, He gave us both another chance Zack! After 6 weeks in the hospital, they let me go home and it took some time but the Lord has given me back everything! I can run and jump, play basketball,tennis,swim, ect.... I went back to college the next year(sophmore) graduated college in 3 more years and since then, He has taken care of me and given me more then I could ever ask for!!! I just wanna encourage you Zack, our Father loves us SO MUCH and He will take care of us every step of the way, if we trust in Him!!! Sometimes its not easy though, but at those times, He will always be there to help us through, that I know, cause I am a living testimony of someone who was not suppose to make it, but because of His mercy and love, He healed me and 1 verse i really held close to me was, I can do All things through Christ who strenghtens me!!! Phil,4:13 I don't know how to leave this message on Nov. 29th? hope this works! I left it on the wrong date first time, sorry

1:02 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Eileen and Zack,

I saw you guys Sunday night at the Vine but didn't get a chance to say hi. it's been forever since I've talked to you. I read the blog all the time and pray a lot for you. I saw zack and had to do a double take because it's just so amazing how God is moving in his recovery. God is good. Tell the younger kids I said hi. Maybe I'll get a chance to talk to you next time I'm in town.

6:25 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Eileen,
I have posted on your site before, but you do not know me. I am the mother of a teenage girl recovering from a brain injury in South Carolina. You are doing all the right things for Zack. Family, friends, therapy, but most of all you are nurturing his spirit! I know that this is a huge difference in the level of healing that people with these type of injuries attain. I want to encourage you in this!! Lead him in prayer, let him pray, do devotions with him until he is able to do them on his own. I am here to testify that this will make a difference! Emerse him in the love of Our Lord! His power is incomprehensable!! God alone knows the plans he has for Zack. This is why it is so crucial to allow the Holy Spirit to work in him even now. We have seen the blessing of this. Our daughter 1.5 years after her injury is continuing to improve. Her mental capabilities are back to normal now - making A's and B's in college. They told us she was going to die! They told us she may never be able to support herself. They were wrong. God had a different plan. He is not finished with her yet and he is not finished with Zack. Praise the Lord. The Lords name be praised!!

8:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home